Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual introduction QFT

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    I am looking for books or papers that explain conceptual ideas that underlie the study of quantum fields. I am looking for something that clearly explains Field measurement. Most text books i am aware of emphasize on the development of formal techniques of Quantum field theory.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See the papers in volume 7 of Niels Bohr's collected works. (Foundations of Quantum Physics II, 1933 - 1958)

4. Sep 21, 2011 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

See the first volume of <Quantum Theory of Fields> by St. Weinberg. In chapter 1 he makes a historical introduction, while in his <arxiv> article <What is quantum field theory ?> he delivers an interesting & useful speech.

5. Sep 21, 2011 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

For conceptual issues in QFT, I would suggest the following books:
    P. Teller, An interpretive introduction to quantum field theory
    A. Zee, Quantum field theory in a nutshell
    B. Simons, Concepts in theoretical physics [can be freely and legally downloaded from internet]

In addition, some conceptual aspects of QFT are discussed also in
    http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/quant-ph/0609163 [Found.Phys.37:1563-1611,2007]

Concerning field measurements, I think it is fair to say that fields are NOT objects which are measured in practice.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook