1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual physics question

1. Sep 6, 2006 #1
    I had to miss class today because of a meeting I had with college counselors... please help

Hiker (2) is 1000 meters east of hiker (1) when they leave their base camps (@ the same time). Hiker (1) takes the following path: 200 m N, 300 m 30 degrees N of E, 400 m E, 600 m 40 degrees S of W, 200 m S. Hiker (2) takes the following path: 300 m E, 300 m 40 degrees W of S, 200 m S, 600 m W, 300 m 20 degrees E of N. Both hikers walked 17 min.

a. what is each hikers avg. speed
    b. what is the magnitude of each hikers velocity?

i would more care to have the process explained then to actually know the answer

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2006 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you know about the definition of average speed? Also what do you know about the magnitude of a velocity?

4. Sep 7, 2006 #3

J77

Sketch the paths of the hikers out.

5. Sep 7, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Kurdt asked if you knew the definition of average speed: it is the distance walked divided by the time taken. Average velocity is the vector dispacement divided by the time taken. Nowhere in your problem is anything said about time. You cannot find speed or velocity with the information given.

6. Sep 7, 2006 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is a mention a time :confused: Both hikers took 17 minutes. I'll let you off this time Hallsofivy :wink:

7. Sep 7, 2006 #6

J77

Nah - don't let him off that lightly :tongue: :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?