1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual portion of Relativistic Jets Problem

1. Apr 22, 2013 #1
    1. The full problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem can be found here if any of my description is lacking.

I have solved successfully part a), most of b), and c) for the problem, but part d) asks:

2. Relevant equations

Through parts a-c), I have determined that the transverse velocity βT = [itex]\frac{sin(theta)}{1-βcos(theta)}[/itex] and that the angle which maximizes this equation is equal to β which is equal to v/c.

My answer to part c) is 2.96 x 108 m/s.

3. The attempt at a solution

b): I am unclear on how to do this portion of the problem, but I believe it to be a simple algebra step I am missing, so I do not expect help on this section.

c): Unless I am reading this question incorrectly, I believe that one can see if the jets are back to back and their true velocities are equivalent that the angle θ (angle from observer's plane t and the jet's actual velocity) must be equal by simple geometry. Is this assumption naive? Or do I need to draw a triangle similarly to how I did in part a) and solving for the velocity as I did throughout the problem parts above?

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted