Conceptual problem involving centripetal accel

In summary, the conversation discusses the physics behind an amusement park ride where riders are stuck to the wall while the floor drops out. The minimum tangential velocity needed for this effect is given by V= (gR/mews)^.5, where R is the radius of the circle, mews is the coefficient of static friction, and g is the gravitational acceleration. The conversation provides a breakdown of the forces involved and explains the concept of centripetal force. It also addresses common misunderstandings about friction and the importance of understanding the principles behind centripetal force.
physics noob
amusement park ride...basically a large cylinder rotating about a vertical axis. when it is spinning fast enough the floor is dropped out and the riders stick to the wall well above the floor. find the minimum Vtangential needed. express answer in terms of R of circle, coefficent of static friction (mew)s and gravitational acell (g)... seems easy right, and it probably is, but i don't know why my answer is not right...btw the correct answer is

V= (gR/mews)^.5

here's what i got so far...

x direction forces) V^2/ (r) * m - static coeff *n = 0

y direction forces) static coeff *n - mg = 0

so mg = sf *n so v^2/ R = g so

V = (g/R)^.5 where does the sfriction coeff come from?!?

i worked backwards and saw that is must have been multiplied by
v^2/R...now why would you do that... thanks in advanced

Physics news on Phys.org
Well this is actually a 2-D problem, the FBD for the rider should be something as follows.

We have the frictional force upwards, a weight force downwards, and a normal force radially inwards.

Now use sumF = ma

In the vertical direction we have
Friction - Weight = 0
u*N = mg

In the radially inward direction we have

Normal = Centripetal acceleration
N = mv^2/r

thus

u*m*v^2/r = m*g

u*v^2/r = g

v = sqrt(r*g/u)

vertically, mg=(mew)*N i.e. equilibrium

horizontally, N= mv^2/r.

i.e. not equilibrium, but rather the normal force provides the centripetal force.

substitute N into above, get V=(g*r/(mew))^0.5.

typically, when someone learns centripetal force for the 1st time, they get confused with the whole forces producing the centripetal force.

centripetal force is the net force acting on the object, it is the sum of all external forces. If this net force is not directed perpendicular to the velocity of the object, then the path is not going to be circular.

the object is not in equilibrium on horizontal plane, but is accelerated.

you need to sit back and think deeply about this.

thanks a lot guys,,,, what through me off was i thought there was friction on the horizontal, but it seems it only exists on the vertical forces, i really appreciate the help, this site is amazing... thanks for your time

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is given by the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

2. What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of a circular path, while centrifugal acceleration is the outward acceleration away from the center. Centrifugal acceleration is often referred to as a "fictitious" or "pseudo" acceleration because it is not a true force, but rather a result of the inertia of the object wanting to continue moving in a straight line.

3. How does centripetal acceleration relate to circular motion?

Centripetal acceleration is essential for maintaining circular motion. In the absence of an external force, an object moving in a circular path would continue in a straight line tangent to the circle. The centripetal acceleration keeps the object moving in a circular path by constantly changing its direction towards the center of the circle.

4. What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

There are many examples of centripetal acceleration in everyday life, such as a car turning a corner, a roller coaster moving around a loop, or a planet orbiting around the sun. Any time an object moves in a circular path, there is a centripetal acceleration acting on it.

5. How does centripetal acceleration affect the motion of an object?

The presence of centripetal acceleration changes the direction of an object's motion, causing it to continuously turn towards the center of the circular path. This results in a change in velocity, and therefore a change in acceleration. It is important for maintaining circular motion and preventing the object from flying off its path.