Conceptual problem involving ME and intelligence

In summary, Claude explains that the objects shot from a cliff have the same KE when they hit the ground, regardless of their initial angle.
physics noob
i lack the latter, so here is my question, if three objects are shot from a cliff all at different angles...what will their KE be right before they hit the ground relative to each other (neglecting air resistence) now i know the answer to this is they are all equal, having gotten it wrong on a test, but let's say the object shot at the highest angle, doesn't that one have the furest to fall meaning more PE due to gravity,,, how can they possibly all have the same KE,, ie speed. The lame answer i got from my professor was that they all started at the same height, but the object shot at the highest degree angle was at a different height, so it has more PE...confused and frustrated

Physics news on Phys.org
The KE of all the objects are indeed equal, assuming that all the objects have the same initial speed.

Final KE = Initial KE + Initial PE.

This is just conservation of energy. If all objects fall the same distance and start with the same amount of kinetic energy, then conservation of energy demands that the objects' final KE be equal.

I hope that makes sense.

Claude.

The object shot at the highest angle has higher potential energy at the top of its flight path than the other two objects. However, the objects shot at lower angles are moving faster horizontally, which makes up for it. That's why they all have the same KE.

Just to be clear I should say they all have the same KE when they reach the ground and PE is equal zero.

Well, if i shoot them all at different angles, the steepest angle gets the most height, but also has the least horizontal component of velocity. When it hits the ground let's assume that the state of potential energy at this height is zero. Thus the kinetic energy is simply 1/2m*v DOT v. v DOT v is simply v^2 but is a scalar. v = sqrt(vx^2 + vy^2) so then vf^2 = vxf^2 + vyf^2 if we break it up into components and assume 2-D motion. vxf = v0cos(theta), vyf = v0sin(theta) - gt. Let's assume the ball lands on the height it was launched.
vf^2 = vo^2cos(theta)^2 + vo^2sin(theta)^2 -2*voy*g*t + (g*t)^2

but for parabolic motion w/ the same landing height we have
0 = voyt - gt^2/2 or that voy = gt/2 or (2*voy) = g*t
this means

vf^2 = vo^2cos(theta)^2 + vo^2sin(theta)^2 -2*voy*g*t + (g*t)^2
vf^2 = vo^2cos(theta)^2 + vo^2sin(theta)^2 -g*t*g*t + (g*t)^2
vf^2 = vo^2cos(theta)^2 + vo^2sin(theta)^2 -(g*t)^2 + (g*t)^2
vf^2 = vo^2cos(theta)^2 + vo^2sin(theta)^2
vf^2 = vo^2(cos(theta)^2 + sin(theta)^2)
vf^2 = vo^2

KEf = KE0 assuming mass is constant

But the potential energy at the top point is irrelevant to the problem. They all have the same kinetic and potential energy initially and so will have the same kinetic energy just as they hit the ground.

thanks to all for the quick and informative help

1. What is the definition of intelligence in the context of ME?

In the context of ME, intelligence refers to the ability to understand, reason, and solve complex problems related to mechanical engineering. It also involves critical thinking, creativity, and the application of knowledge to real-world situations.

2. How does intelligence impact success in the field of ME?

Intelligence plays a crucial role in the success of an individual in the field of ME. It allows for efficient problem-solving, innovative designs, and the ability to adapt to new technologies and advancements in the field.

3. Can intelligence in ME be measured?

Yes, intelligence in ME can be measured through various standardized tests, such as the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and the Mechanical Engineering Aptitude Test (MEAT). These tests assess an individual's quantitative, analytical, and technical skills, which are essential for success in the field of ME.

4. How can one improve their intelligence in ME?

One can improve their intelligence in ME by continuously learning and acquiring new knowledge and skills through education, training, and hands-on experience. Engaging in critical thinking, problem-solving exercises, and collaborating with others in the field can also help improve intelligence in ME.

5. Is intelligence the only factor for success in ME?

No, while intelligence is crucial for success in ME, it is not the only factor. Other factors such as hard work, determination, and practical experience also play a significant role in achieving success in the field. Additionally, having good communication and teamwork skills is essential in a collaborative and dynamic industry like ME.