(Conceptual Problem) Whether the ball can pass through the basket

• Thread starter daphnelee-mh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a ball passing through a basketball hoop, given certain initial conditions and constraints. The correct equation for the ball's position is provided and the conversation mentions using the substitution of t to obtain a time-independent equation for the trajectory. However, the next steps for proving whether the ball will pass through the basket are unclear and there is discussion about alternative methods, such as using projectile motion equations or considering the problem geometrically.
daphnelee-mh
Homework Statement
attached below
Relevant Equations
x=(v1)xt
y=(v1)y-1/2gt^2
1594630291838.png

1594630315089.png
1594630330963.png

Is it proved that the ball can pass through the basket if the positive value of time can be found? I am sure whether I did correct or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation at the bottom of the first page (y=...) makes no sense (there is a y on the right which should be t), and its solution as t= would involve square roots.
Write the correct equation and use the t= you obtained from horizontal constraints to substitute for t.

haruspex said:
Your equation at the bottom of the first page (y=...) makes no sense (there is a y on the right which should be t), and its solution as t= would involve square roots.
Write the correct equation and use the t= you obtained from horizontal constraints to substitute for t.
1594645387415.png

Thanks, I corrected it but how can I prove will it pass through the basket or not?

daphnelee-mh said:
Thanks, I corrected it but how can I prove will it pass through the basket or not?
If the ball's position is given by ##(x(t), y(t))## for a given ##t##, and the basket's position is ##(a,b)##, then how would you know whether the ball will pass through it or not?

daphnelee-mh said:
View attachment 266295
You seem to have substituted ##\frac {\sqrt 3}2## for ##v_y##. Should be ##v\frac {\sqrt 3}2##.
My instruction was to use the expression you got for t in (1) to substitute for t in your y= equation. By eliminating t, you get a time-independent equation for the trajectory.

Last edited:
daphnelee-mh said:
View attachment 266295
If at a certain time, the ball is at the right position both with respect to the x-coordinate and the y-coordinate, the ball goes through the net. If not, the motion forms a parabola which misses the hoop.

haruspex said:
You seem to have substituted ##\frac {\sqrt 3}2## for ##v_y##. Should be ##v\frac {\sqrt 3}2##.
My instruction was to use the expression you got for t in (1) to substitute for t in your y= equation. By eliminating t, you get a time-independent equation for the trajectory.
1594707031826.png

I eliminated the t and got the initial velocity at the end. But I have no idea what to do the next to prove it.

daphnelee-mh said:
I eliminated the t and got the initial velocity at the end. But I have no idea what to do the next to prove it.
You are not using enough information from the picture. If you fix the start and end points of the trajectory and the launch angle, as you have done, there will always be a certain launch velocity which meets the criteria.
You have not said how you determined the launch angle. My reading is that you are supposed to use the angle of the arms. Is that what you did? This means the position of the ball in the picture is additional information. In geometric terms, the question is whether there is a parabola with a vertical axis which passes through a given three points (shoulders, ball in picture, hoop) and at the shoulders has the same slope as the arms.
Indeed, you can treat the problem as purely that and not consider ballistic equations at all.

haruspex said:
You are not using enough information from the picture. If you fix the start and end points of the trajectory and the launch angle, as you have done, there will always be a certain launch velocity which meets the criteria.
You have not said how you determined the launch angle. My reading is that you are supposed to use the angle of the arms. Is that what you did? This means the position of the ball in the picture is additional information. In geometric terms, the question is whether there is a parabola with a vertical axis which passes through a given three points (shoulders, ball in picture, hoop) and at the shoulders has the same slope as the arms.
Indeed, you can treat the problem as purely that and not consider ballistic equations at all.
Sorry but I am not fully understand, I found some mistakes from my work before and corrected as below
I understood that if the starting point is fixed, certain launch velocity can be found therefore I am confused and thinking whether there is another way to prove whether will the ball pass through the basket. The projectile motion equations come first in my mind.
1594727121404.png

daphnelee-mh said:
Sorry but I am not fully understand, I found some mistakes from my work before and corrected as below
I understood that if the starting point is fixed, certain launch velocity can be found therefore I am confused and thinking whether there is another way to prove whether will the ball pass through the basket. The projectile motion equations come first in my mind.
View attachment 266333
Ok, you can do it this way, but, as I wrote, you need to use the position shown for the ball. Would the ball, thrown at the angle and velocity you found, pass through that position?
Of course, because you have had to make estimates from a picture, there is going to be some uncertainty in your numbers. Ideally you would track all those uncertainties and end up with a range of possible trajectories for the ball and see whether the shown position lies within them.

haruspex said:
Ok, you can do it this way, but, as I wrote, you need to use the position shown for the ball. Would the ball, thrown at the angle and velocity you found, pass through that position?
Of course, because you have had to make estimates from a picture, there is going to be some uncertainty in your numbers. Ideally you would track all those uncertainties and end up with a range of possible trajectories for the ball and see whether the shown position lies within them.
daphnelee-mh said:
View attachment 266333

No, this doesn't work. You have calculated the ball hitting the rim on a path underneath the hoop, rather than reaching a vertex before going back down through the hoop.

aspodkfpo said:
No, this doesn't work. You have calculated the ball hitting the rim on a path underneath the hoop, rather than reaching a vertex before going back down through the hoop.

What the heck, I keep getting no solution. Can someone actually solve this question lol.

I keep arriving at this equation which apparently has no solution,
1594807753067.png

Method:
Not bothering with the use of feet to calculate, scale it after the answer, use the mm.

x: vcos(theta) t(1) + vcos(theta) t (2) = 40

t(1): vsin(theta)/g, from v = u + at

y: (v^2)(sin^2 (theta))/2g - g ((t2)^2)/2 =5, distance to vertex - distance down

t2 from above.

sub in everything into the first equation, v has no solution.

aspodkfpo said:
sub in everything into the first equation, v has no solution.
I just noticed @daphnelee-mh is using distances in feet but g in m/s2.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
I just noticed you are using distances in feet but g in m/s2.

Oh, LOL.

haruspex said:
I just noticed you are using distances in feet but g in m/s2.

Still getting no solution.

aspodkfpo said:
Still getting no solution.
Sorry, my previous comment was intended for @daphnelee-mh , but maybe you inherited the same error.
Indeed, you were using mm as measured from the picture. Did you scale g accordingly?

You don't need to break it into two stages. The equation at the end of post #9 (even when corrected) gives a unique positive value for v. Yes, in principle the solution should be checked as having a negative vertical velocity on reaching the basket, but looking at the picture, if the measurements have been accurately transcribed then it is pretty clear the ball cannot end up going upwards through the it.
What made you conclude such was the solution found?

haruspex said:
Sorry, my previous comment was intended for @daphnelee-mh , but maybe you inherited the same error.
Indeed, you were using mm as measured from the picture. Did you scale g accordingly?

You don't need to break it into two stages. The equation at the end of post #9 (even when corrected) gives a unique positive value for v. Yes, in principle the solution should be checked as having a negative vertical velocity on reaching the basket, but looking at the picture, if the measurements have been accurately transcribed then it is pretty clear the ball cannot end up going upwards through the it.
What made you conclude such was the solution found?

Nevermind, her answer is right. Breaking it into two also works, but the working out is atrocious. I was thinking about a scenario where theta isn't given, and you solve for theta, hence taking the vertex value.

v=8.25m/s for the quesiton.

Now extremely confused about why symbolab algebra calculator does this wrong. Oh, the calc took it as radians.

Last edited:
aspodkfpo said:
Nevermind, her answer is right. Breaking it into two also works, but the working out is atrocious. I was thinking about a scenario where theta isn't given, and you solve for theta, hence taking the vertex value.

v=8.25m/s for the quesiton.

Now extremely confused about why symbolab algebra calculator does this wrong. Oh, the calc took it as radians.
How you got V=8.25m/s

daphnelee-mh said:
How you got V=8.25m/s
Did you read post #13? What do you get for v now?

haruspex said:
Did you read post #13? What do you get for v now?
1595039937780.png

I found v=11.12 ft/s after using g=32.2ft/s^2, but isn't this is the initial velocity required to pass the basket? Seems didn't prove it will pass the basket or not.

daphnelee-mh said:
I found v=11.12 ft/s after using g=32.2ft/s^2, but isn't this is the initial velocity required to pass the basket? Seems didn't prove it will pass the basket or not.
As I keep telling you, to answer the question you have to make use of the position of the ball in the picture. At the launch angle and velocity you have found, does the ball go through there?

daphnelee-mh said:
View attachment 266504

You did the operations on your calculator wrong for the last question.
Basically you can find the vertex of the parabola. If that vertex is further away than the basket, then it doesn't go down through the basket.

aspodkfpo said:
You did the operations on your calculator wrong for the last question.
Basically you can find the vertex of the parabola. If that vertex is further away than the basket, then it doesn't go down through the basket.
I'm not sure whether you are making one point or two.

The algebra was quite correct for finding the launch velocity for which the ball would hit the target, given the launch angle. If "the operations on your calculator wrong" then the numerical answer was wrong. Is that what you mean? I have not checked it.

We already discussed whether it might fail by hitting the underside. Yes, @daphnelee-mh's calculation does not rule that out, but one glance at the picture should be enough to see that will not happen.

The more useful avenue is determining from the picture that the necessary speed has been employed by the thrower. See post #21.

haruspex said:
I'm not sure whether you are making one point or two.

The algebra was quite correct for finding the launch velocity for which the ball would hit the target, given the launch angle. If "the operations on your calculator wrong" then the numerical answer was wrong. Is that what you mean? I have not checked it.

We already discussed whether it might fail by hitting the underside. Yes, @daphnelee-mh's calculation does not rule that out, but one glance at the picture should be enough to see that will not happen.

The more useful avenue is determining from the picture that the necessary speed has been employed by the thrower. See post #21.

Two points, 1. Calculator/algebra for her answer in the final line was done wrong.
2. A way for testing whether it falls down and through is, finding the x-coordinate of the vertex of the parabola. If that vertex is further away than the basket, then it doesn't go down through the basket.

aspodkfpo said:
Calculator/algebra for her answer in the final line was done wrong.
Yes, I get 27f/s. Is that what you get?
aspodkfpo said:
A way for testing whether it falls down and through is, finding the x-coordinate of the vertex of the parabola. If that vertex is further away than the basket, then it doesn't go down through the basket.
Yes, that works. Or find the vertical velocity at the basket, which is easy having found v.

Anyway, as I mentioned in post #8, the simplest approach to the question is purely geometric: is there a parabola with a vertical axis that passes through the three points and has the given tangent at the launch point?

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Yes, I get 27f/s. Is that what you get?

Yes, that works. Or find the vertical velocity at the basket, which is easy having found v.

Anyway, as I mentioned in post #8, the simplest approach to the question is purely geometric: is there a parabola with a vertical axis that passes through the three points and has the given tangent at the launch point?

How exactly does your purely geometric method work, is it literally observation?

aspodkfpo said:
How exactly does your purely geometric method work, is it literally observation?
Whichever method you use, you have to find the coordinates of three points: the man's shoulder, the ball and the basket. You also need to estimate the launch angle from the angle of the man's arms.
We know that the trajectory is a parabola with a vertical axis, so is representable as ##y=Ax^2+Bx+C##. The three points suffice to fix those coefficients, so if the tangent at the shoulder point also matches the launch angle then we know the basket will be hit.

Likes aspodkfpo

1. Can a ball pass through a basket without touching the rim?

Yes, it is possible for a ball to pass through a basket without touching the rim. This is known as a "swish" and requires precise aim and a straight trajectory.

2. What factors affect whether a ball can pass through a basket?

The factors that affect whether a ball can pass through a basket include the size and shape of the ball, the size and shape of the basket, the distance between the ball and the basket, and the force and angle at which the ball is thrown.

3. Is it easier for a smaller or larger ball to pass through a basket?

Generally, a smaller ball will have an easier time passing through a basket compared to a larger ball. This is because a smaller ball has a smaller cross-sectional area, making it easier to fit through the opening of the basket.

4. Can a ball pass through a basket from any angle?

No, a ball cannot pass through a basket from any angle. The ball must be thrown with enough force and at the correct angle to pass through the basket. If the angle is too steep, the ball may bounce off the rim or backboard instead of passing through.

5. How does the height of the basket affect whether a ball can pass through?

The height of the basket does not significantly affect whether a ball can pass through. As long as the ball is thrown with enough force and at the correct angle, it can pass through a basket of any height. However, a higher basket may require more force to pass through due to the increased distance between the ball and the basket.