Question 1: For each of the following objects answer three questions: Does it move with constant speed? Does it move in the same direction at every instant in time? Is its motion a consequence of Newton's first law? (explain your reasoning)
a. the golden ball on the end of a foucault pendulum
b. a car going 50 mph on a straight road
Question 2: List 14 interactions on a marker that has just been thrown out of someone's hand (not including when it is in the hand)?
The Attempt at a Solution
a.The pendulum does not go in a constant speed because of angle momentum and the gravitational pull brings the ball back to the center. It is a consequence of Newtons first law.
b. The car stays at a constant speed and constant direction. However there are forces acting upon the car, so it does not go along with Newtons first law.
Question 2: 1. friction of the air
2. gravitational pull of the earth
3. strong nuclear interactions of quarks and gluons
4. electromagnetic interactions of all charged particles
5. weak nuclear interaction of the quarks and leptons
6. the tension between the marker lid and the marker
7. gravitational pull of the moon
8. . . . . . . .