Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Conceptual Problems

1. Feb 27, 2009 #1
    1. Can an object increase its speed if the magnitude of the acceleration is decreasing?

I put yes because an object be accelerating at 50 m/s^2 and then decelerate to 40 m/s^2 but velocity would still increase.

2. Describe the motion of the object
    V parallel to a
    V anti-parallel to a
    V perpendicular

I put that when V is parallel with a, it accelerates
    When V is anti-parallel with a, it decelerates
    When it's perpendicular, its at rest

3. Standing in a train, you throw a coin to the side, describe the motion of the coin.

I put that the coin will travel with the train and drop under where the person dropped the coin at.

4. When traveling down a flat road at a constant speed, do you feel lighter, heavier, or the same.
    Going up a hill?
    Going down a hill?

I put the same for the flat road, lighter going up a hill, and heavier going down.

Can anyone please check my work? I want to know how I did on an exam. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2009 #2
    does anyone know the answer to any of these?

I have 2 hours to decide whether to drop my class or not

4. Feb 28, 2009 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. Mostly right answers, and good intuition. #2(c) could use some fixing, though.

5. Feb 28, 2009 #4

berkeman

Don't drop it. You're doing fine.

6. Feb 28, 2009 #5
    thanks for the help, I really appreciate it

I dropped the class already though XD

7. Feb 28, 2009 #6

berkeman

That's too bad, you sounded like you had a handle on the course material. Oh well, hopefully you take the course next term.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook