1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual Problems

1. Feb 27, 2009 #1
    1. Can an object increase its speed if the magnitude of the acceleration is decreasing?

I put yes because an object be accelerating at 50 m/s^2 and then decelerate to 40 m/s^2 but velocity would still increase.

2. Describe the motion of the object
    V parallel to a
    V anti-parallel to a
    V perpendicular

I put that when V is parallel with a, it accelerates
    When V is anti-parallel with a, it decelerates
    When it's perpendicular, its at rest

3. Standing in a train, you throw a coin to the side, describe the motion of the coin.

I put that the coin will travel with the train and drop under where the person dropped the coin at.

4. When traveling down a flat road at a constant speed, do you feel lighter, heavier, or the same.
    Going up a hill?
    Going down a hill?

I put the same for the flat road, lighter going up a hill, and heavier going down.

Can anyone please check my work? I want to know how I did on an exam. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2009 #2
    does anyone know the answer to any of these?

I have 2 hours to decide whether to drop my class or not

4. Feb 28, 2009 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. Mostly right answers, and good intuition. #2(c) could use some fixing, though.

5. Feb 28, 2009 #4

berkeman

Don't drop it. You're doing fine.

6. Feb 28, 2009 #5
    thanks for the help, I really appreciate it

I dropped the class already though XD

7. Feb 28, 2009 #6

berkeman

That's too bad, you sounded like you had a handle on the course material. Oh well, hopefully you take the course next term.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook