How Does Doubling Charge Affect Electric Field Strength in a Capacitor?

• Thread starter phyBnewb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conceptual
In summary, A parallel-plate capacitor with two square plates of size L x L and separated by distance d has a constant electric field inside, given by E=V/d. If the charge +Q on the plates is doubled, the ratio of final to initial electric field strengths is 2.
phyBnewb

Homework Statement

A parallel-plate capacitor consists of two square plates, size L x L, separated by distance d. The plates are given charge +-Q . Each part changes only one quantity; the other quantities have their initial values.

Part A

What is the ratio E(final)/E(initial) of the final to initial electric field strengths if Q is doubled?

Homework Equations

I know that:E = kQ/r^2 ,where k= 8.99*10^9

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where to start here for this question.
Since it is a ratio of E final / E initial would Q cause E to be something like this?
E = k(2Q)/r^2 => 1/2E for E final?

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried 1/2 but it was incorrect. Help please!

You are using the formula for a point charge in the case of a parallel plate capacitor.
The electric field inside the capacitor is constant and is given by E=V/d where V is teh voltage and d is the distance between the plates.

i figured it out. it wasnt 1/2, for Efinal/Einitial = 2

1. What is Conceptual Question 27.13?

Conceptual Question 27.13 is a specific question used in scientific research and experiments to assess an individual's understanding of a particular concept or theory. It is often used to evaluate critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities.

2. How is Conceptual Question 27.13 different from other types of questions?

Conceptual Question 27.13 differs from other types of questions as it focuses on the underlying concepts and principles rather than just factual knowledge. It requires the individual to think critically and apply their understanding to a given scenario or problem.

3. What is the purpose of asking Conceptual Question 27.13?

The purpose of asking Conceptual Question 27.13 is to assess an individual's understanding of a particular concept or theory. It can also help identify any misconceptions or gaps in knowledge that may need to be addressed.

4. How can I improve my performance on Conceptual Question 27.13?

To improve your performance on Conceptual Question 27.13, it is important to have a strong understanding of the underlying concepts and principles. Practice with similar types of questions and seek feedback from others to identify areas for improvement.

5. Can Conceptual Question 27.13 be used in all areas of science?

Yes, Conceptual Question 27.13 can be used in all areas of science as it is a general method for assessing understanding and critical thinking skills. However, the specific content and context of the question may vary depending on the field of science being studied.