Understanding the Relationship Between Mass and Inertia in Circular Motion

In summary, Newton's first law of motion states that "an object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force." Objects rounding a curve must obey the law of inertia, which is affected by mass. The equation for the frictional force depends on mass, so the masses cancel out.
loka

Homework Statement

The Mass of an object doesn't affect the angle at which a curve must be banked. The law of inertia, however, states that the motion of any object is affected by its inertia, w/c depends on its mass. How can objects rounding banked curves obey the law of inertia if the amount of banking required for a curve of a given radius of curvature and speed is independent of mass?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Totally clueless! >.<

I just know it has something to do with N1:

Newton's first law of motion states that "An object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force."

...and Fc=mv2/R

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so mv^2/r is the centripetal acceleration that needs to be balanced by a frictional force. How does the equation for that frictional force depend on m?

hmmm ok...so

Fc = mv2/R

Ff = mu*Fn
= mu*mg

Fc = Ff
mv2/R = mu*mg

so the masses cancel out?

...the thing is I don't even get what the question is asking?

Yes, the mass cancels out. Isn't that what the question is asking? There should be an angle in your friction but that's not even terribly important. The acceleration is proportional to mass and so is the friction.

but am i not just proving what was already stated in the question? Which is that radius and speed don't rely on mass?

I'm just terribly confused of the question...shouldn't I incorporate N1 in my conclusion but I just don't seem to get it...

I think you should read the question again. It looks to me like it's asking why is the banking angle independent of mass if the inertia is dependent on mass. If the mass cancels, isn't that the answer? Am I reading it wrong? How are you reading it?

Oooo that makes more sense...thanks for rephrasing it!

maybe I was just complicating the question...

Thanks again for your help. ^^,

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion.

2. How is inertia related to Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. This principle is also known as the law of inertia.

3. What factors affect an object's inertia?

An object's inertia is affected by its mass and velocity. Objects with larger mass have greater inertia, and objects with higher velocity have greater inertia.

4. Can inertia be overcome?

Inertia can be overcome by applying an external force to an object. This force must be greater than the object's inertia in order to cause a change in its motion.

5. How does inertia play a role in everyday life?

Inertia is present in many aspects of our daily lives. For example, when we push a shopping cart, the cart will continue to roll until an external force, such as friction, acts upon it. Inertia also explains why we feel a force pushing us backwards when a car suddenly stops, as our bodies want to continue moving forward due to inertia.