Momentum in a jump ball

In summary, the smallest system for which momentum is conserved in this scenario is the ball plus player, as long as no external forces act on the system.
klopez
A basketball is tossed up into the air, falls freely, and bounces from the wooden floor. From the moment after the player releases it until the ball reaches the top of its bounce, what is the smallest system for which momentum is conserved?

Here are some choices given...

- momentum is not conserved
- the ball plus Earth
- the ball
- the ball plus floor
- the ball plus player

I'm pretty sure that its not the first one, since there has to be a system in this situation where momentum is conserved. I know that the system between the Earth and the floor are really large, so it cannot be those. I am confused about the last two options: the ball alone and the ball plus player. I'm really leaning on the ball plus player because I know th initial momentum for both were zero, but I'm not sure about which part of the situation I'm going to consider for the final momentum. Any words of advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Physics news on Phys.org
Please...can anyone help me?

Momentum is conserved as long as no external forces act. Analyze each of those candidate systems and see if there are any external forces acting.

1. What is momentum in a jump ball?

Momentum in a jump ball refers to the amount of force that an object has when it is in motion. In the context of a jump ball, it is the force with which the ball is propelled upwards by the players.

2. How is momentum calculated in a jump ball?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity. In a jump ball, the mass of the ball and the velocity with which it is thrown into the air determine its momentum.

3. Why is momentum important in a jump ball?

Momentum is important in a jump ball because it determines which team gains possession of the ball. The team with greater momentum is more likely to gain control of the ball and have an advantage in the game.

4. How can momentum be affected in a jump ball?

Momentum can be affected by several factors in a jump ball. These include the mass and velocity of the ball, the angle at which it is thrown, and any external forces such as wind or contact with other players.

5. How does momentum impact the outcome of a jump ball?

The team with greater momentum in a jump ball has a higher chance of gaining possession of the ball and gaining an advantage in the game. Momentum can also affect the trajectory and speed of the ball, which can impact the overall gameplay and scoring opportunities for each team.