Force-Time Diagram for High Elevation Block Drop | Calculate Max Force

• Thread starter Red_CCF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conceptual
In summary, the conversation discusses the force-time diagram and maximum force of a block attached to a rope at a high elevation. The block experiences the force of gravity and the force of the rope when it becomes a swinging pendulum. The question is how to calculate the maximum tension in the string when the rope snaps taught. It is suggested to look at the impulse and differentiate to find the maximum force, followed by damped simple harmonic motion.
Red_CCF
This isn't a homework question but something I thought up but couldn't figure out.

If I tie a block to a rope at a very high elevation and throw the block down, what would the force-time diagram look like (from the moment the block is thrown) until the block begins to oscillate and how would I calculate the maximum force assuming that the rope has no dampening effect?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i can't understant what oscillation you are talking about

is it free fall or something like pendulum motion

do we need to take account of variation of acceleration due to gravity

It sounds like the rope is attached to the top of a pole, or something. Correct? In that case, while the block is in freefall, there is only the force of gravity causing it to accelerate. Assuming the rope is not a bungee cord, the block would become a swinging pendulum when the rope goes taught. As a pendulum, the block experiences the force of gravity plus the force of of the rope.

And what do you mean by "maximum force"? Force of what on what at what time?

Hi

Sorry for not stating my question properly. I was thinking of a situation similar to what chrisbaird said, rope is attached to the top of a pole at one end and a mass at the other. The mass is dropped from the top of the pole; I'm wondering how I can calculate the maximum tension in the string. I imagined this situation more ideally in that the oscillation I was talking about was up and down (due to the elasticity of the string) not side to side like a pendulum.

I think you would have to look at the impulse.
When the rope snaps taught would be where the maximum force is. If you get an equation to describe the impulse at a given time and then differentiate, the zero's should give you the max and mins of force, the max being the max tension on the rope. The subsequent motion would then be damped SHM.

1. What is a force-time diagram?

A force-time diagram is a visual representation of the relationship between the force applied to an object over a period of time. It is commonly used in physics to analyze the motion and behavior of objects.

2. How is a force-time diagram created?

A force-time diagram is created by plotting the force applied to an object on the y-axis and the time on the x-axis. The force is typically measured in Newtons (N) and the time in seconds (s). The resulting graph shows the changes in force over time.

3. What is the purpose of a force-time diagram for high elevation block drop?

A force-time diagram for high elevation block drop is used to calculate the maximum force that an object experiences when dropped from a high elevation. This can help scientists understand the impact and potential damage of objects falling from great heights.

4. How is the maximum force calculated from a force-time diagram for high elevation block drop?

The maximum force can be calculated by finding the highest point on the force-time graph. This point represents the peak force that the object experiences during the drop. The value can be read directly from the graph or calculated using mathematical equations.

5. What factors can affect the force-time diagram for high elevation block drop?

The force-time diagram for high elevation block drop can be affected by various factors such as the mass and shape of the object, air resistance, and the height from which the object is dropped. These factors can alter the shape and magnitude of the force-time graph, resulting in different maximum force values.