What is the Likelihood of a Feeder Cord Breaking?

• Thread starter kaspis245
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conceptual
In summary, the question is whether a cord between a bird feeder and a tree limb is more likely to snap with a slow continuous pull or a sudden downward pull. The answer is that the likelihood for the cord to snap is the same in both cases because the forces acting on the cord are the same. This can be understood by considering a simpler situation where a heavy box is pulled across a slippery surface with a string. In this scenario, it is better to pull slowly to avoid breaking the string. This is because pulling quickly creates a sudden change in force, which can cause the string to snap. Additionally, if the box is made of a heavier material, such as solid lead, it would be harder to break the string than if the box
kaspis245

Homework Statement

3. A bird feeder of large mass is hung from a tree limb.
A cord attached to the bottom of the feeder has
been left dangling free. Curiosity gets the best of a child, who
pulls on the dangling cord in an attempt to see what's in the
feeder. The dangling cord is cut from the same source as the cord
attached to the limb. ls the cord between the feeder and the limb
more likely to snap with a slow continuous pull or a sudden down-
ward pull? Give your reasoning.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that likelihood for the cord to snap is the same, because the forces acting on the cord are the same in both ways.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a simpler situation first. Suppose a heavy box sits on a slippery surface and you pull the box across the surface with a string as shown. To avoid breaking the string, should you pull slowly or snap the string quickly? Why does it make a difference?

Attachments

• Pull box.png
    Pull box.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 418
My experience tells me that I would pull the string slowly, but I can't prove why. Maybe it has something to do with static frictional force?

kaspis245 said:
My experience tells me that I would pull the string slowly, but I can't prove why. Maybe it has something to do with static frictional force?
There is no friction. What if you considered the case where the box on the slippery surface is made of solid lead and the case where the box is made of styrofoam? In which case would it be harder to break the string? Why?

1. What is the definition of a feeder cord?

A feeder cord is a type of electrical cord used to connect electronic devices, such as appliances or computers, to a power source. It typically has two or three prongs and is made up of insulated wires surrounded by a protective outer covering.

2. How likely is a feeder cord to break?

The likelihood of a feeder cord breaking depends on various factors such as the quality of the cord, its age, and how it is used. Generally, a well-made and properly maintained feeder cord has a low risk of breaking.

3. What are some common causes of feeder cord breakage?

Some common causes of feeder cord breakage include physical damage due to bending or twisting, exposure to extreme temperatures, and wear and tear from frequent use. Poor maintenance, such as not unplugging the cord correctly or using it in damp environments, can also contribute to breakage.

4. How can I prevent a feeder cord from breaking?

To prevent feeder cord breakage, it is important to use high-quality cords, avoid bending or twisting them excessively, and store them properly when not in use. Regularly inspecting the cord for any signs of wear and tear and replacing it if necessary can also help prevent breakage.

5. Is it safe to continue using a feeder cord after it has broken?

No, it is not safe to continue using a feeder cord after it has broken. A broken cord can pose a fire hazard and increase the risk of electrical shock. It is important to stop using the cord immediately and replace it with a new one.