Conceptually ok problem, but very difficult to solve

• Thread starter Corneo
  • Start date
In summary: This will give you the scattered angle of the photon, as well as the new wavelength and energy. In summary, to solve the given problem of a photon colliding with a free electron, you can use the conservation of momentum and energy equations to set up a system of equations. Then, use the quadratic formula to solve for the unknowns and find the scattered angle, new wavelength, and energy of the photon.
Corneo
Hi, I was given this problem on a midterm regarding a photon colliding with a free electron. I need to find the angle of the scattered photon [itex]\theta[/itex], the new wavelength [itex]\lambda'[/itex], and its energy.

It states that the electron scatters at an angle of 60 degrees (relative and below the initial photon momentum) and at a velocity of 4 x 10^7 m/s.

I already set up the three equations given but I simply have no idea how to solve this systerm, substitution seems to be suicide due to the limited time on a midterm. I do not think matrices would help either. I just would like to know how to solve for the photon's scattered angle, because that seems like the most difficult part of this problem.

From conservation of momentum I can write.

[tex]x: \frac {h}{\lambda} = \gamma m u \cos \phi + \frac {h}{\lambda'} \cos \theta \qquad \phi = 60^\circ, u = 4 \times 10^7 m/s[/itex]
[tex]y: 0 = \frac {h}{\lambda'} \sin \theta - \gamma m u \sin \phi[/tex]

From conservation of energy I can write.

[tex]\frac {hc}{\lambda} + mc^2 = \frac {hc}{\lambda'} + \gamma m c^2[/tex]

From here I simply do not know solve to solve this system. The unknowns are [itex]\lambda, \lambda', \theta[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
, and \gamma. Please help! The best way to solve this system of equations is to use the quadratic formula.First, solve the momentum equation for γm:[itex]\gamma m = \frac{\frac{h}{\lambda} - \frac{h}{\lambda'}\cos\theta}{u\cos\phi}[/itex]Now substitute this expression into the energy equation:[itex]\frac{hc}{\lambda} + mc^2 = \frac{hc}{\lambda'} + \left(\frac{\frac{h}{\lambda} - \frac{h}{\lambda'}\cos\theta}{u\cos\phi}\right)c^2[/itex]This can be rearranged to give a quadratic equation in λ':[itex]\lambda'^2 + \left( \frac{hc}{u\cos\phi} - \frac{hc\cos\theta}{u\cos\phi} \right)\lambda' - \frac{hc}{u\cos\phi}\lambda = 0[/itex]The solution to this equation can be found using the quadratic formula:[itex]\lambda' = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}[/itex], where[itex]a = 1 \qquad b = \frac{hc}{u\cos\phi} - \frac{hc\cos\theta}{u\cos\phi} \qquad c = \frac{hc}{u\cos\phi}\lambda[/itex]Once you have the values of \lambda' you can then solve for θ using the momentum equation.

, \gamma, and \phi.

First of all, I want to commend you for recognizing the difficulty of this problem. It shows that you are thinking critically and not just trying to blindly solve it.

In terms of solving the system of equations, substitution may indeed be a difficult and time-consuming method. One alternative approach could be to use a numerical method, such as Newton's method or the bisection method, to iteratively solve for the unknown variables. This may be more efficient and accurate than trying to solve the system algebraically.

Another option could be to use a computer program or online calculator that can solve systems of equations for you. This would save you time and allow you to focus on understanding the concepts rather than getting bogged down in the calculations.

In terms of finding the scattered angle, you could try using the conservation of momentum equation in the x-direction to solve for \theta. This would involve rearranging the equation and using trigonometric identities to simplify it.

Overall, it is important to remember that some problems may not have a straightforward analytical solution and may require more advanced techniques or the use of technology. The key is to understand the concepts and be able to apply them, rather than getting caught up in the calculations. I hope this helps and good luck on your midterm!

1. Why is this problem conceptually ok but difficult to solve?

The problem may have a clear concept or idea behind it, but the actual process of solving it may involve complex calculations, unknown variables, or other factors that make it challenging to find a solution.

2. Can you provide an example of a conceptually ok problem that is difficult to solve?

One example is the traveling salesman problem, which involves finding the most efficient route for a salesman to visit a set of cities once each. The concept of finding an optimal route is simple, but the number of possible combinations makes it difficult to solve in a timely manner.

3. Are there any strategies that can help with solving these types of problems?

Yes, there are various problem-solving strategies such as breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, using trial and error, or seeking assistance from experts in the field. It may also be helpful to approach the problem from different perspectives or to collaborate with others.

4. What are some potential roadblocks when trying to solve these types of problems?

Some common roadblocks include limited resources, lack of knowledge or expertise in a particular area, and the complexity of the problem itself. Other factors such as time constraints, personal biases, and external pressures can also make it difficult to find a solution.

5. How can we improve our problem-solving skills for these types of problems?

One way to improve problem-solving skills is to practice regularly and seek feedback from others. Additionally, learning new problem-solving techniques and approaches can help expand our problem-solving abilities. It is also important to be open-minded, curious, and persistent when facing difficult problems.