1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptually ok problem, but very difficult to solve

1. Jun 1, 2005 #1
    Hi, I was given this problem on a midterm regarding a photon colliding with a free electron. I need to find the angle of the scattered photon [itex]\theta[/itex], the new wavelength [itex]\lambda'[/itex], and its energy.

It states that the electron scatters at an angle of 60 degrees (relative and below the initial photon momentum) and at a velocity of 4 x 10^7 m/s.

I already set up the three equations given but I simply have no idea how to solve this systerm, substitution seems to be suicide due to the limited time on a midterm. I do not think matrices would help either. I just would like to know how to solve for the photon's scattered angle, because that seems like the most difficult part of this problem.

From conservation of momentum I can write.

[tex]x: \frac {h}{\lambda} = \gamma m u \cos \phi + \frac {h}{\lambda'} \cos \theta \qquad \phi = 60^\circ, u = 4 \times 10^7 m/s[/itex]
    [tex]y: 0 = \frac {h}{\lambda'} \sin \theta - \gamma m u \sin \phi[/tex]

From conservation of energy I can write.

[tex]\frac {hc}{\lambda} + mc^2 = \frac {hc}{\lambda'} + \gamma m c^2[/tex]

From here I simply do not know solve to solve this system. The unknowns are [itex]\lambda, \lambda', \theta[/itex]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted