Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concern about CERN

Tags:
  1. Feb 11, 2014 #1
    hi, i was just wondering does anyone know whether, now that Switzerland is pulling out of Schengen it could have any repercussions on people working in CERN and/or the research center itself?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2014 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Maybe those particles going round and round the LHC will have to stop for a passport check every time they cross the Swiss/French border.

4. Feb 11, 2014 #3
    challenging task for the border police :) hopefully they'll wear hadron proof vests or there might be issued new search for a Swiss bosom

5. Feb 11, 2014 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

First, Switzerland is not "pulling out of Schengen". Brussels has threatened it in retaliation for a Swiss vote it didn't like, but Brussels says lots of things. There are many ways this could play out.

Second, Switzerland has only been in Schengen for around 5 years. CERN has been around an order of magnitude longer.

Third, the most immediate affect will be to make crossing the Route de Meyrin between ATLAS and CERN a lot easier and safer, since there will be huge backups at the border and cars will be moving more slowly.

6. Feb 12, 2014 #5
    Vanadium 50: Thanks for clarification.
    Funny, i had no clue CERN is by now 60 years old..

7. Feb 12, 2014 #6
    I don't think that will be an issue. You can always live in the French side and enter CERN from there ;).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook