Are lipid bilayers the key to bridging physics and biology?

• Thread starter Allday
  • Start date
In summary, biophysics is a growing and important field, with many career possibilities and opportunities for research. Universities such as Rice, Baylor, Johns Hopkins, and the University of Rochester offer biophysics programs, and it is recommended to choose a university based on where biophysics research is being conducted. For those interested in pursuing biophysics, it is recommended to take courses in physics, biology, and specific biophysics courses during their undergraduate studies.
Allday
Hey everybody, what do you think of biophysics. I am a year into a physics PhD program and I am getting really interested in biology. There's one guy on the faculty who does research on lipid bilayers and another who does research on developing dynamic monte carlo techniques. John Nagle and Robert Swendson. Anybody heard of them? I am not too familiar with biophysics so anyone who is, I would be glad to hear your feelings on the career possibilities and the level of research activity, especially concerning lipid bilayers.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My brother did exactly this topic for his PhD thesis. He now has a tenure-track position. He does research on cochlear fluid dynamics.

Your career possibilities in biophysics are probably better than in pure physics as it is very difficult to get professorships in pure physics nowadays, and in terms of industry you have a lot more options especially with the pharmaceutical industry.

thanks socrates, good to hear. I saw a presentation on cochlear implants with all kinds of cool animations of the inner ear. pretty amazing stuff.

Allday said:
Hey everybody, what do you think of biophysics. I am a year into a physics PhD program and I am getting really interested in biology. There's one guy on the faculty who does research on lipid bilayers and another who does research on developing dynamic monte carlo techniques. John Nagle and Robert Swendson. Anybody heard of them? I am not too familiar with biophysics so anyone who is, I would be glad to hear your feelings on the career possibilities and the level of research activity, especially concerning lipid bilayers.

Thanks

BioPhysics is very important branch of science. If I were there to research in BioPhysics then I would like to choose the topic "Implementation of Physics concepts to increase the age and health of human body using latest tools like nanotechnology".

I´m doing my Master thesis on biophysics now. It´s a branch of science with certainly many perspectives. I´ve visited a Nobel prize winners meeting last year (as a student of course :)) and that´s what these guys told me. Since molecular biology is THE science now in the 21st century, they will surely need appliaction of many methods, which THE science of 20th century - physics - has developed and is developing. So go into it without reservation. Career perspectives (and the amount of money you earn) are indeed better than in any other field of physics.

Biophysics

Hey,

I am a current undergraduate student who is interested in studying biophysics, but unfortunately my current university does not offer a biophysics program. Thus, I am planning on taking some physics, math, and bio. courses this year in preparation for a transfer to a university which does have a biophysics program. I was wondering if anybody knows of a good biophysics program at a university in North America that I can try to transfer into next year?

m2003 said:
Hey,

I am a current undergraduate student who is interested in studying biophysics, but unfortunately my current university does not offer a biophysics program. Thus, I am planning on taking some physics, math, and bio. courses this year in preparation for a transfer to a university which does have a biophysics program. I was wondering if anybody knows of a good biophysics program at a university in North America that I can try to transfer into next year?

Its more of a graduate level topic, so I wouldn't be so worried at the undergrad level. That said, the univerisities I personally know of that have people doing research on biophysics nclude Rice, Baylor, Johns Hopkins and the U. of Rochester. I wouldn't transfer to the last place though, over quality of life issues. It has all the advantages of a city (slums, crime, etc.) and almost none of the benefits (culture). Iits also very cold, and they get dumped with snow being right off the lake. Hopkins is right in the middle of a ghetto but if you stay within the University its not so bad (its like USC in that respect). As an undergrad you might be able to be able to get research experience(even if its only being a pipette monkey) that you wouldn' t get somewhere else.

i hav completed my high school and i want to go in the fields of biophysics so i was wondering that can anybody tell me which subjects to take in the under graduate university program so i can pursue biophysics later on. and can anyone also tell me good universities for biophysics in america and Canada. and can u reply as soon as possible.

The normal course is standard undergrad physics courses+biology+biophysics specific physics courses. As for the university it doesn't matter at undergrad. Just go where ever biophysics is offered.

1. What is a lipid bilayer?

A lipid bilayer is a thin, flexible, double-layered sheet made up of phospholipid molecules. It forms the basic structure of all cell membranes and serves as a barrier between the inside and outside of a cell.

2. How are lipid bilayers formed?

Lipid bilayers are formed spontaneously when phospholipid molecules are placed in water. The hydrophobic tails of the phospholipids face each other, while the hydrophilic heads face the water molecules, resulting in a stable bilayer structure.

3. What is the function of a lipid bilayer?

The main function of a lipid bilayer is to regulate the movement of substances in and out of the cell. It also provides structural support and helps maintain the shape of the cell.

4. How do substances pass through a lipid bilayer?

Small and non-polar molecules can pass through the lipid bilayer through simple diffusion, while larger and polar molecules require transport proteins embedded in the membrane to facilitate their movement.

5. What factors can affect the properties of a lipid bilayer?

The properties of a lipid bilayer can be affected by temperature, the type and composition of lipids, and the presence of other molecules such as cholesterol. These factors can alter the fluidity, permeability, and stability of the bilayer.