1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concerning motion

1. Mar 6, 2005 #1
    Hi, I was given the following question:

Q: A body starts moving with an acceleration [itex]a=const[/itex]. After a time [itex]t[/itex] it has covered the distance [tex]\Delta x[/itex]. What is its speed at time [itex]t[/itex]?

Answer: [tex]\frac{2\Delta x}{t}[/tex]

Can somebody say how to arrive at this answer (both mathematically and intuitionally)? I know that [itex]\Delta x/t[/tex] would be the speed w/o acceleration, so the "2" must come from acceleration, but where does it come from?

Can the answer be obtained from the formula [itex]v=v_0+at^2[/itex]?

- Kamataat

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2005 #2
    [tex]x-x_0=\frac{1}{2}(v_0+v_f)\Delta{t},\ \ v_0=0 m/s[/tex]

4. Mar 6, 2005 #3
    Thank you!

- Kamataat

5. Mar 6, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Another way: for CONSTANT acceleration, the "average" speed is just the average of the starting speed and ending speed: [itex]\frac{v_i+v_f}{2}[/itex]. Since the starting speed is 0, if the ending speed is v, this is [itex]\frac{v}{2}[/itex] so the distance covered in time [itex]\Delta t[/itex] would be [itex]\Delta x =\frac{v}{2}\Delta t}[/itex] so [itex]v= 2\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}[/itex].

CAUTION: This is only true for CONSTANT acceleration!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  6. Mar 7, 2005 #5
    Halls, that's what my equation says :) [itex]1/2(v_0 + v_f) =[/itex] average velocity :smile:

7. Mar 7, 2005 #6
    yup, i get it now. tnx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?