Concerning psi and black holes

In summary, according to quantum theory, the total probability of finding a particle somewhere in space is always zero. However, the applicability of this theory to a particle vanishing in a black hole is uncertain and raises questions about the concept of probability in such situations. The issue remains unsolved and continues to be a subject of debate and speculation in the scientific community.
shaan_aragorn
According to quantum theory the total probability of finding the particle somewhere in space is always zero. So if a particle vanishes in a black hole will that mean (psi)^2 = 0, which is illegal?

Physics news on Phys.org
shaan_aragorn said:
According to quantum theory the total probability of finding the particle somewhere in space is always zero.

Say what?

What version of "quantum theory" is this? Can you give an exact citation where you read this?

Zz.

I think s/he meant one, not zero.

shaan_aragorn said:
According to quantum theory the total probability of finding the particle somewhere in space is always zero. So if a particle vanishes in a black hole will that mean (psi)^2 = 0, which is illegal?

i'm going to assume that the poster meant 1, and not 0.

I don't know if you'll find a sufficient answer to your question...if a particle falls into a black hole, is it still in this universe? if yes, then the probability density over all space holds. if not, then is it even relevant, since the equation says nothing about this?

so a) i don't think that your scenario violates the equation and b) i also don't think that we can even speculate since, to my knowledge, black holes are still largely not understood entities.

At the risk of re-railing this thread, I think over time the integrated probability
of the particle being found outside the black hole would decrease, so yes
the hole would be "sucking up" [tex]\Psi[/tex]. If this is true, the inside of the hole should
be considered part of the "Universe" but an inaccessible part.

Let me add a serious twist to the question. What happens if one member
of an entangled pair of particles falls in? If even light can't escape, can
a measuement "from beneath" the event horizon bring about a new quantum state which
is still correlated with it's partner outside the black hole?

Conservation laws say it must.

General relativity says no information can come out of the hole. So
how does the change in the wavefunction take place outside based
on something that happens to the particle's correlated pair inside?

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
I think s/he meant one, not zero.

Yes, and even in that case, this is only the case in NON-relativistic QM - of a single particle - so we are far from a treatment where we have black holes :-)

I think that the answer is hence two-fold: the "psi defined everywhere and normalized to unity" is a concept that comes from non-relativistic quantum mechanics and hence not applicable to the situation at hand as such. Nevertheless, the crux of the problem remains, formulated differently: how can the motion of matter be described by a unitary operator in a black hole geometry (which is supposed to be reversible). That's the famous "quantum information riddle at a black hole".
As far as I know, we don't have a fully working theory of that. But some bricolage seems to show that the problem goes away (I think Hawking recently lost an encyclopedia over it, in a bet with another one) when you consider superpositions of "more or less flat space" and "hole forms and evaporates". These are exotic superpositions indeed, but I think Hawking had some indications that the overall operation can be unitary.

vanesch said:
(I think Hawking recently lost an encyclopedia over it, in a bet with another one)

Yes, he lost it to John Preskill. He was so glad he won, he dedicated part of his personal website to it :)

Preskill's VICTORY

regards
marlon

I don't know what I was thinking when i wrote zero! I meant one.

What is psi and how does it relate to black holes?

Psi, also known as ψ, is a symbol used in physics to represent the wave function of a quantum system. It is used to describe the probability of a particle's location or state. In the context of black holes, psi is used to describe the quantum state of particles near the event horizon.

Can psi be used to explain the behavior of matter near a black hole?

While psi can provide insight into the quantum state of particles near a black hole, it is not a complete explanation for their behavior. The effects of gravity and general relativity must also be taken into account when studying black holes.

How does psi differ from Hawking radiation?

Psi and Hawking radiation are two separate concepts that describe different aspects of black holes. Psi represents the quantum state of particles near the event horizon, while Hawking radiation is the thermal radiation emitted by a black hole due to quantum effects.

Is there evidence for the existence of psi and its role in black holes?

While there is no direct evidence for the existence of psi, its use in mathematical models has helped to explain certain phenomena related to black holes. Further research and observations are needed to fully understand the role of psi in black holes.

What are the implications of understanding psi and black holes?

Understanding the relationship between psi and black holes can provide insight into the behavior of matter and energy in extreme gravitational environments. It may also help to bridge the gap between quantum mechanics and general relativity, leading to a better understanding of the universe as a whole.