Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concrete building design

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1
    hello everyone

i have to design a simple two floor office building with roof.
    i am very lost and confused and don't know where to start from.
    can someone help?pleaseeee

concrete1page.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2

NUCENG

Science Advisor

This looks like a static load and strengths of materials problem. You need to specify the type of beam foundation, floor slabs, exterior and internal columns, and roof to be self supporting for static loads only.

Define your roof and floors, calculate weights, If needed, define support beams to support roof and floors, then design columns to support those loads, then define foundation beams to support the full structure.

Hope that helps or somebody with more civil structural background can chime in. It also might help if you would tell us what level of education, statics, materials and math background you are working with.

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start at the roof and work downwards. You can't design the top floor till you know the weight of the roof it has to support.

5. Dec 11, 2011 #4

NUCENG

Science Advisor

That is more clear than what I wrote. Based on the nodaliztion in the drawing woud you agree that the design probably includes two internal columns on each floor?

6. Dec 11, 2011 #5
    yes i agree but how would i find the weight of full roof?
    no load is given i can find the dead load

DL=150 lb/ft^3 x cross section

but i can't because its roof...should i just assume snow load?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  7. Dec 11, 2011 #6
    u mean like this?

1.png

8. Dec 12, 2011 #7

NUCENG

Science Advisor

No information in the problem definition about snow load so assume none.

Yes

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook