Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concrete non-measurable sets

1. Aug 18, 2011 #1
    "Concrete" non-measurable sets

I've had Vitali's proof of the existence of non-(Lebesgue) measurable sets branded into the side of my brain over the years. However, the proof always critically relies on evoking the axiom of choice. Has anybody every demonstrated a non-AoC construction of a non-measurable set? Or do the intuitionist logicians just avoid measure theory all together?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: "Concrete" non-measurable sets

Hi Kreizhn! :smile:

The axiom of choice is necessary for the existence of non-measurable sets. If you don't adopt the axiom of choice (or a similar principle), then it can happen that all sets are measurable! There is a current investigation of some theories in which all sets are measurable, so it certainly can happen!

4. Aug 18, 2011 #3

Good to know. Then does using AoC necessarily preclude the ability to construct non-measurable sets that are anything but "existential?"

For example, (unless it's just been so long since I've done set theory) I imagine there are times when we must use the AoC in general, but for special cases we could explicitly construct a choice function. Are there special cases wherein this can be done for non-measurable sets? Maybe that's just a silly question.

5. Aug 18, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't quite understand what you're asking. Do you want to construct a choice function for a non-measurable set?? This is not possible, everything you do with non-measurable sets involves the axiom of choice. It is not possible to construct a choice function for them.

6. Aug 18, 2011 #5

I guess what I'm thinking is that AoC always guarantees the existence of a choice function, without explicitly defining it. However, there are instances in which AoC is not required to give the choice function.

But then I guess the answer is that if we must always use AoC, then it is impossible to explicitly construct a choice function, since then AoC would not be necessary to construct nonmeasurable sets, and you have just told me that it is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook