What is the ideal thickness for a concrete slab for a chemical storage tank?

In summary, the conversation discussed the installation of a new chemical storage tank and the necessary thickness of the concrete slab it will be placed on. The tank will weigh approximately 4600 lbs when filled and the pad will be 5 ft x 5 ft. The question was raised about any specific formula or ratio for determining the thickness, and it was suggested to consult the local building inspection department for this information. The conversation also mentioned the potential need for a permit and the possibility of different requirements for the delivery tanker and the tank itself. Finally, guidance for heating oil tanks was recommended to be looked up for further information.
NewEngineer
Good morning forum,

I'm currently in the middle of a project where I'm installing a new chemical storage tank outside. I need to lay a new concrete slab for the tank to lay on. My question is how thick should the concrete slab be? The tank will be stationary, when filled it will weigh approximately 4600 lbs, plus some piping and other equipment attached to it. The tank will be stationary and the pad will be approx. 5 ft x 5 ft. Is there some kind of formula or ratio I can find, or is 4-6 inches just a standard?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Will this structure and installation be inspected by your local building inspectors? Do you need to get a permit to start the construction? The local building inspection department would be your best source for this kind of information...

Will it be filled by delivery tanker? The requirement for the tanker might be greater than for the tank.

Does the tank have feet=point loads or flat bottom=distributed load?

Look up guidance for heating oil tanks?

1. What is the standard thickness for a concrete slab?

The standard thickness for a concrete slab varies depending on the type of structure it is supporting. For residential construction, the typical thickness is 4 inches. However, for commercial buildings, the standard thickness can range from 4 to 6 inches.

2. How do I determine the required thickness for a concrete slab?

The thickness of a concrete slab is determined by considering the load it will bear, the type of soil it will be built on, and any additional factors such as climate and traffic. A structural engineer should be consulted to calculate the required thickness for a specific project.

3. Can a concrete slab be too thick?

Yes, a concrete slab can be too thick. Excessive thickness can result in cracking and uneven settlement, which can compromise the structural integrity of the slab. It can also be more costly to install and may not be necessary for the intended use of the structure.

4. What factors can affect the thickness of a concrete slab?

Several factors can affect the thickness of a concrete slab, including the type of structure it will support, the load it will bear, the type of soil it will be built on, and any additional factors such as climate and traffic. The desired finish and cost of the project can also play a role in determining the thickness of the slab.

5. Is a thicker concrete slab always better?

No, a thicker concrete slab is not always better. As mentioned before, excessive thickness can lead to issues such as cracking and uneven settlement. It can also be more costly to install. The thickness of a concrete slab should be determined based on the specific needs and requirements of the project.