1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Concrete Slab Thickness

1. Aug 10, 2017 #1
    Good morning forum,

I'm currently in the middle of a project where I'm installing a new chemical storage tank outside. I need to lay a new concrete slab for the tank to lay on. My question is how thick should the concrete slab be? The tank will be stationary, when filled it will weigh approximately 4600 lbs, plus some piping and other equipment attached to it. The tank will be stationary and the pad will be approx. 5 ft x 5 ft. Is there some kind of formula or ratio I can find, or is 4-6 inches just a standard?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Will this structure and installation be inspected by your local building inspectors? Do you need to get a permit to start the construction? The local building inspection department would be your best source for this kind of information...

4. Aug 16, 2017 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Will it be filled by delivery tanker? The requirement for the tanker might be greater than for the tank.

Does the tank have feet=point loads or flat bottom=distributed load?

Look up guidance for heating oil tanks?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted