Determine T1 & T2 in Concurrent Forces Diagram

• Thread starter Ry122
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the diagram shows a join from a bridge truss. Calculate the unknown forces t1 and t2. t1 and t2 can be anything because you don't have a question in regards to that picture. The figure shows a join from a bridge truss. Calculate the unknown forces t1 and t2. t1 and t2 can be found by solving two equations for the horizontal and vertical components, respectively.
Ry122
How do i determine t1 and t2 in the following diagram?

http://users.on.net/~rohanlal/concforces.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
They can be anything because you don't have a question in regards to that picture.

Thats basically all it says.
The figure shows a join from a bridge truss. Calculate the unknown forces t1 and t2.

calculate the vector sum of the 72 and 80 kN forces. If i and j are unit vectors in the direction to the right and up these are 72j and -80cos(45)i -+80sin(45)j.
now what are the components of the unknown forces t1 and t2? (express them as functions
of t1 and t2). Both the i and the j components of all these forces must add.

So after findings the vertical and horizontal forces put the horizontal force and t1 and t2 angles into a triangle and solve for each side, the result will give me the horizontal components for both t1 and t2, then do the same for the vertical force to get the vertical components. After finding the horizontal and vertical components of t1 and t2 put them into a right triangle to determine their resultant forces. Is this correct?

I don't think you can get the horizontal components from t1 or t2 using just the horizontal force required. you can form a triangle with the vectors t1, t2 and the required force, and you know all angles and one side of this triangle, so you can compute the other two sides.

What I would do however is just solve the two equations that you get if you use the fact that both the total horizontal and vertical force must be 0.

for horizontal you get -t1*sin(30) + t2*cos(30) - 80cos(45) = 0
for vertical you get ....

you can get the first equation in the form t1 = (expression with only t2)
and substitute that in the second.

1. What is the significance of determining T1 and T2 in a concurrent forces diagram?

Determining T1 and T2 in a concurrent forces diagram helps to understand the overall balance of forces acting on an object. This information is crucial in predicting the motion of an object and determining whether it will remain at rest or accelerate.

2. How do you calculate T1 and T2 in a concurrent forces diagram?

To calculate T1 and T2, you need to use trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. First, you will need to break down each force into its horizontal and vertical components. Then, use the equations T1 = F1 x cosθ and T2 = F2 x sinθ, where θ is the angle between the force and the x-axis.

3. Can T1 and T2 be negative values?

Yes, T1 and T2 can be negative values. This indicates that the forces are acting in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. The negative sign is important to consider when determining the net force and direction of an object's motion.

4. What happens if T1 and T2 are equal?

If T1 and T2 are equal, it means that the forces acting on the object are balanced. This can result in the object remaining at rest or moving with a constant velocity. However, if the forces are not acting at the same point, it can result in rotational motion.

5. How does the angle between T1 and T2 affect the overall balance of forces?

The angle between T1 and T2 affects the overall balance of forces by changing the direction of the net force acting on the object. If the angle is 90 degrees, the forces are perpendicular and the net force will be zero. If the angle is less than 90 degrees, the net force will be directed towards the larger force. And if the angle is greater than 90 degrees, the net force will be directed towards the smaller force.