Will Your Breath Condense on a Cold Winter's Day? A Homework Challenge

In summary,The equilibrium vapor pressure of water at 28 C is 3780. Pa and the equilibrium vapor pressure of ice at -11C is 237.74 Pa. There is no need to calculate the relative humidity in this problem.ChetIn summary,The equilibrium vapor pressure of water at 28 C is 3780. Pa and the equilibrium vapor pressure of ice at -11C is 237.74 Pa.
Raptor112

Homework Statement

On a winter day, suppose your breath has a temperature of 30°C and a dew point of 28°C,and it mixes with the ambient air of temperature –10°C and a dew point of –11°C. Will you see your breath? Assume you are at sea level, and that your breath and the environment mix in proportions of 2 parts (by mass) breath to 1 part (by mass)
environment. Show all your working.

Homework Equations

##\frac{p_1}{p_2} = e ^{\frac{L}{R_s}(\frac{1}{t_2}- \frac{1}{t_1})}##
## Relative Humidity = \frac{actual vapour pressure}{saturated vapour pressure} *100##

The Attempt at a Solution

Found the relative humidity of the breath and air by using, for air:
##t_1 = -10, t_2 = -11##
and for breath
##t_1 = 30, t_2 = 28##
which gives
Relative humidity of air =114%
Relative humidity of breath= 108%
using ##L =2.5 *10^6 Jkg^-1##
##R_s = 461 J K^-1 kg^-1##

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Raptor,

Ineresting: in both cases ##t_1>t_2## yet one of the two is over 100% and the other is below ?

Willl you see your breath? was the exercise question, so you till have some steps to take, right ?

What kind of assistance do you need, at what point ?

In both cases the humidity is over 100%.

Assuming my humidity calculation is correct, not sure how to proceed from there? How does the relative humidity of both air and breath tell us if the breath will condensate or not?

My mistake... ? Can you show your working ?
(not that I don't trust your calculations -- although I do get a lightly different answer), but I wonder about your relevant equation: I expect the relative humidity to go down as ##t_1## increases...

Last edited:
BvU said:
My mistake... ? Can you show your working ?
Breath:
## \frac{actual vapour pressure}{satrated pressure} = exp [\frac{2.5*10^6}{461} (\frac{1}{28+273.15} - \frac{1}{30+273.15)}] *100 = 113##
Air:
## \frac{actual vapour pressure}{satrated pressure} = exp [\frac{2.5*10^6}{461} (\frac{1}{-11+273.15} - \frac{1}{-10+273.15)}] *100 = 108##

This is a problem in combining two masses of air having different temperatures and mass fractions of water into a single equilibrium mixture of uniform temperature and water mass fraction. It is easiest to do this using Psychometric tables and charts for air/water. Are you allowed to use these tables?

Incidentally, the relative humidity of both streams is less than 100% to begin with.

Chet

Likes BvU
Raptor112 said:
I am little confused from the above calulations I showed and that wiki says:
"Exhaled air has a relative humidity of 100%"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breathing
Well, be that as it may, that's not what your problem statement says. And, since it's a made-up problem, we're not going to let ourselves get bogged down on that, are we?

The equilibrium vapor pressure of water at 28 C is 3780. Pa and the equilibrium vapor pressure of ice at -11C is 237.74 Pa. There is no need to calculate the relative humidity in this problem.

Now, are you allowed to use tables or graphs of the physical properties or air containing water vapor in this assignment, are are you expected to do the calculations from scratch? We are going to have to calculate the enthalpy per unit mass of each of these streams, and also the enthalpy per unit mass of the combined stream.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Now, are you allowed to use tables or graphs of the physical properties or air containing water vapor in this assignment, are are you expected to do the calculations from scratch?

As Psychometric tables were not covered, I think this has to be caluclated from scratch.

You're still in good shape. Start doing the work on mixing these two streams as Chet proposes.

Found the mixed air temperature to be 16.67 degrees with pressure of 1911.04 Pa...

Raptor112 said:
Found the mixed air temperature to be 16.67 degrees with pressure of 1911.04 Pa...
Please show us your work. Also, if you did this correctly, what is your conclusion as to whether you see your breath?

1. What causes condensation of breath?

Condensation of breath is caused by the difference in temperature between your warm breath and the colder air around you. When warm air comes in contact with a colder surface, it cools down and releases tiny droplets of water vapor, which we see as condensation.

2. Why does breath condense more in colder temperatures?

In colder temperatures, the air around you is colder and has a lower capacity to hold water vapor. As a result, when warm breath is exhaled, it quickly cools down and releases more water vapor, leading to more visible condensation.

3. Can condensation of breath be harmful?

No, condensation of breath is a natural process and is not harmful. However, if you are in a very cold environment, the water droplets from your breath can freeze and form ice, which can be dangerous if it accumulates on surfaces or on your skin.

4. How does humidity affect the condensation of breath?

Humidity plays a big role in the visibility of condensation from breath. In high humidity environments, the air is already saturated with water vapor, so there is less room for the water droplets from your breath to evaporate. This leads to more visible condensation. In low humidity environments, the water droplets from your breath evaporate quickly, resulting in less visible condensation.

5. What can we learn from the condensation of breath?

The condensation of breath is a simple demonstration of the physical process of water vapor turning into liquid when it comes in contact with a colder surface. It also shows the impact of temperature and humidity on this process. Additionally, studying condensation can help us understand and predict weather patterns and the formation of clouds and precipitation in the atmosphere.