What Determines the Number of Real Roots in a Quadratic Equation?

• Thread starter Hyzon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Condition
In summary, the condition for the equation px^2+qx+r = 0 to have two different real roots is that k^2-4(1)(1)>=0. The condition for the equation px^2+qx+r = 0 to have two equal real roots is that k^2-4(1)(1)==0. The condition for the equation px^2+qx+r = 0 not to have any real roots is that k^2-4(1)(1)<0.
Hyzon

Homework Statement

State the condition for the equation px^2 + qx + r = 0 to have:
a)two different real roots
b)two equal real roots
c)no real roots

Homework Equations

b^2-4ac maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

I missed a class due to ailments and now have to catch up on missed work. I can't find what the question means by state the condition. All I need to know is what that even means, and maybe where to start working.

I've tried using the discriminant of the equation but I don't know what to do because the coefficients are variables, even the constant is a variable. Any help would be great, am I even on the right track with using discriminants?

I just tried using the discriminant of the equation with variables and for each a,b,c I came out with q^2-4pr > 0, q^2-4pr=0, q^2-4pr<0 respectively. I'm not sure if that is correct though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NO PROBLEM hyzon!
BY THE WAY WHAT YOU ARE THINKING IS CORRECT!YES THAT DISCRIMINANT WILL CERTAINLY HELP YOU & YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT WAY!
FOR ANY QUADRATIC EQUATION px2+qx+r=0
we have solution of x=(-q(+or-)squareroot(q2-4pr))/(2*p)
WELL IT IS MORE POPULAR AS b^2-4a*c.
a)for roots to be real we just want the term inside the root to be greater than or equal to zero.
=>b^2-4a*c>=0
OR HERE IN THIS CASE:
q^2-4pr>=0
=>q2>=4pr is the required condition for real roots.
IF THIS IS NOT SO THEN THE ROOT'S ARE NOT REAL AND ARE THUS IMAGINARY.
THUS a) AND c) ARE DONE.
b)HERE b^2-4ac=0 is condition for real roots.
=>q^2-4pr=0
=>q2=4pr is the required condition for equal roots.

Thanks, yeah so I get that now. But I'm stumped again on the same topic.

For what values of k does each equation have two different real roots?
a) x2+kx+1=0

I used the discriminant

k^2-4(1)(1)
k^2-4
k-2
k>2, k<(-2) or |k|>2

I understand that one, but question b) has k in the a position not b.

b)kx^2+4x-3=0

I put it in discriminant form

4^2-4(k)(-3)

Now what? How do I find the values of k to have two different real roots?

You use the condition discriminant > 0 like before, only it's a bit simpler to get k!

The condition for the equation px^2 + qx + r = 0 to have two different real roots is that the discriminant, b^2 - 4ac, must be greater than 0. This means that q^2 - 4pr > 0. This condition ensures that the equation has two distinct solutions when solved for x.

The condition for the equation to have two equal real roots is that the discriminant, b^2 - 4ac, must be equal to 0. This means that q^2 - 4pr = 0. This condition ensures that the equation has only one solution, which is repeated, when solved for x.

The condition for the equation to have no real roots is that the discriminant, b^2 - 4ac, must be less than 0. This means that q^2 - 4pr < 0. This condition ensures that the equation has no real solutions when solved for x. In this case, the solutions would be complex numbers.

I hope this helps clarify the conditions for the equation to have different types of roots. If you are still unsure, I would recommend consulting with your teacher or a classmate for further explanation and examples.

1. What is a condition for an equation?

A condition for an equation is a statement or requirement that must be true in order for the equation to hold. It can also refer to a set of values or circumstances that satisfy the equation.

2. How do you determine the condition for an equation?

The condition for an equation can be determined by analyzing the terms and variables in the equation and identifying any restrictions or limitations on their values. It may also involve solving for a specific variable or setting certain conditions on the equation's solutions.

3. Why is it important to consider the condition for an equation?

The condition for an equation is important because it determines the validity and accuracy of the equation's solutions. If the condition is not met, the equation may have no solutions or may have extraneous solutions that do not satisfy the original problem.

4. Can the condition for an equation change?

Yes, the condition for an equation can change depending on the context or problem being solved. For example, the condition for an equation in one problem may be different from the condition in another problem with the same equation.

5. Are there any common conditions for equations?

Yes, there are some common conditions for equations, such as avoiding division by zero, ensuring that the equation is defined for all values of the variables, and checking for any restrictions on the variables given in the problem. Additionally, some equations may have specific conditions based on the type of equation or the mathematical operations involved.