Condition where people laugh at inappropriate times?

  • Thread starter tomas
  • Start date

tomas

Is there a condition where people laugh at inappropriate times? My gf is mad at me because I tend to let out my stress with laughs and chuckles and she gets angry because she thinks I am laughing at her, which is not the case. Any ideas?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
477
4
modern pchycologicists theorize that laughter is driven by spontinuuity. we're hit by an unexpected word or gesture, and our primitive survival instinct gets nervous, but when we realize there is no danger, our anxiety is released in laughter. in your case, i suppose you'de have been an excellent hunter/gather because your instincts are wired.
 

Izzle

Re: laughing

Originally posted by tomas
Is there a condition where people laugh at inappropriate times? My gf is mad at me because I tend to let out my stress with laughs and chuckles and she gets angry because she thinks I am laughing at her, which is not the case. Any ideas?

It's not a condition, it's a symptom of disorders.

There are a few disorders that can include this - which one someone has is not so important. What's important is that people who laugh at inappropriate times usually have a decently problematic mental condition.
 

tomas

Oh great, I have a disorder :frown:, can you give me some references?

I tend to laugh at serious times, like when my gf is talking serious to me. Usually when I reply I am sort of chuckling. I don't mean to and it makes her feel real bad. Also at sad times like at funerals, I don't feel sad, but almost like I want to smile. I think I just hate feeling down and depressed and I try everyway not to feel that way or get out of feeling depressed as quickly as possible. I've been a person who has never shown or expressed much emotion betore.
 

Izzle

Originally posted by tomas
Oh great, I have a disorder :frown:, can you give me some references?

I tend to laugh at serious times, like when my gf is talking serious to me. Usually when I reply I am sort of chuckling. I don't mean to and it makes her feel real bad. Also at sad times like at funerals, I don't feel sad, but almost like I want to smile. I think I just hate feeling down and depressed and I try everyway not to feel that way or get out of feeling depressed as quickly as possible. I've been a person who has never shown or expressed much emotion betore.

www.webmd.com
 

tomas

hmmm, I search for inappropriate laughing and all I get is either I'm addicted to sex or have Schizophrenia and I'm pretty sure I'm neither.

Actually apon a closer look I have all but one or two of these symptons:
http://my.webmd.com/content/healthwise/15/3788.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

but they seem fairly general to me and common, so I am not sure

oh man I do everything on this page too
http://my.webmd.com/content/healthwise/112/27849

but it seems to me that everyone does these things, am I wrong?

or maybe I am a hypochondiac and just think I have problems, doh!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
73
0
Re: laughing

Originally posted by tomas
Any ideas?
Yes, tell her what you just told us!
That seems perfectly reasonalbe.

If she doesn't listen then maybe she isn't such a great gf after all...
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Originally posted by tomas
but it seems to me that everyone does these things, am I wrong?

or maybe I am a hypochondiac and just think I have problems, doh!
Ignore him/her. His words flow from his southernmost latitude. Don't even give him/her a second thought. At most you probably are just using laughter as a nervous release. If you are really worried about then talk to a counselor, or a doctor, or someone else who is an expert. Don't let the cracker influence your thinking. Anyone can read any psychology or medical text and imagine that they have "the symptoms". This is a normal reaction for young psychology students. You can't read a book, or a page, and then be qualified to comment on a person’s mental or physical health...even if it’s yours. That’s why doctors go to school for 12 years.
 

Related Threads for: Condition where people laugh at inappropriate times?

Replies
18
Views
21K
Replies
29
Views
6K
  • Posted
Replies
8
Views
2K
Replies
7
Views
9K
Replies
5
Views
965
Replies
14
Views
20K
  • Posted
Replies
2
Views
2K
Replies
13
Views
31K

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads

Top