Conditional density function - need help please

conditional density function - need help please!!

given

a signal x, is a random variable which is expontential with a mean of 3. it is transmitted through an additive gaussian noise channel, where the gaussian noise has a mean of -2 and a variance of 3. the signal and noise are independent.

Find an expression for the CDF (conditional density function) of the signal given the observation of the output. fx(x|y)

what i think...

from bayes theorem i know:

fx(x|y) = fx(y|x)*fx(x) / fy(y)

assuming:
output = y
noise = n
input = x

y = n+x

how do i find fx(y|x) ?

the only info i have are the probability density function's for x and n

also every attempt at convoluting the exponential with the guassian (to find y) has failed whether by hand, calculator, or matlab

Last edited:
Since I'm headed to bed right now - I don't have time to think about this more thoroughly, but maybe you could work with the Fourier transforms and take advantage of the convolution theorem?

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Whats y? n + x?

i assume y is is n + x, that is all the information given (the top paragraph) and the question to find the expression for CDF fx(x|y), so y should be the convolution of n and x

Last edited:
y is the output however you are not interpreting the signals i think?

The given signal is 3e^(-3x) and the noise is Gaussian(-2,3)
The output is additive which means,
y = 3e^(-3x) + Gaussian(-2,3)
Now can u find f(y|x) ?

-- AI

Some follow ups:
The convolution of an exponential and a and a normal distribution is approximated by another exponential distribution.
http://rkb.home.cern.ch/rkb/AN16pp/node38.html [Broken]

Also - the conditional pdf f(y|x) would, intuitively to me, be a Gaussian with mean (x-2).

Last edited by a moderator:
ah of course, many thanks

also, after i found everything i simplified fx(x|y) and plotted it for the cases y = {-5 -1 0 1 5 10} but only the cases y = {0 1} turned out something resembling a probability density function, would this just be that it is impossible to determine x for these cases?

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by impossible.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses