1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conditional distribution

1. Apr 22, 2007 #1
    I've been staring at this for hours. Any hints?

Let the vector [tex]Y = (Y_1,Y_2,\dots,Y_k)[/tex] have a multinomial distribution with parameters n and [tex]\pi = (\pi_1,\pi_2,\dots,\pi_k)[/tex]:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{k}Y_i = n, \quad \sum_{i=1}^{k}\pi_i = 1[/tex] ​

Show that the conditional distribution of [tex]Y_1[/tex] given [tex]Y_1+Y_2=m[/tex] is binomial with n = m and [tex]\pi = \frac{\pi_1}{\pi_1+\pi_2}[/tex].

I've tried to apply the definition of a conditional probability and sum over the relevant events in the multinomial distribution, but it gives me nothing.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2007 #2
    Hmmm, this works if they are Poisson. Not sure if it works if it is multinomial. The standard way to do this would be to compute P[X_1=x|X_1+Y_2=m], as you tried.

Edit: I should be more precise. If Y_1 and Y_2 poisson r.v. with paramaters lambda1 and lambda2, then Y_1 | Y_1+Y_2=m is distributed as Binomial(m, lambda1/(lambda1+lambda2)).

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?