1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Conditional expectation

1. Jan 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An email is sent on the network in which the recipients (0,1,2,3,4,5} are in communication.
    1 can send to 4 and 2
    2 to 1,3,5
    3 to 0,2,5
    4 to 1, 5
    5 to 0,2,4
    0 to 3 and 5
    If a message is sent to 2,3,4,5 it is forwarded randomly to a neighbour (even if this means a repeat). 0 and 1 never forward messages.
    Let ek be the expected number of time that a message starting at k is passed on.
    Find e4.

2. Relevant equations
    E(X) = [tex]\sum[/tex] E(X|A)P(A)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I need to partition this but I'm unsure on the partition.

Let X be the number of times a message is sent on
    E(X) = E(X|1st move is to 0)P(1st move is to ) + E(X|1st move is to 1)P(1st move is to 1) + E(X|1st move is to 2)P(1st move is to 2) + E(X|1st move is to 3)P(1st move is to 3) + E(X|1st move is to 4)P(1st move is to 4) + E(X|1st move is to 5)P(1st move is to 5)

I'm not sure how I'd work these out using a general k to start at.

If I assume I start at 4, as I'm trying to find e4 then I get
    e4 = 0 + 1x(1/2) + 0 + 0 + e5 (1/2)
    2e4 = 1 + e5

e5 = 1x(1/2) + 0 + e2 (1/3) + 0 + e4 (1/3)

I don't really think I'm going about this the right way, I would have thought I need to find a formula for starting at a general k but I don't know how.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted