1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conditional probability

1. Jul 30, 2009 #1
    I'm stuck on a problem. I was given f(x) and f(y|x) and was able to derive f(x,y). The second step of the problem is computing P[y>x]. I think I need to know f(y) to answer this problem but I can't figure out how to derive it. Or is there a way to compute P(y>x) given the info I know without deriving f(y)?

THANKS!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2009 #2
    P(y>x) is simply the probability that a point (x,y), lies above the line x=y. Do you remember how to do double integrals between curves?

4. Jul 30, 2009 #3
    I understand that part. My problem (I think) is that I need to evaluate when f(y) has points above the line x=y and I do not know how to derive f(y). Does that make any sense?

5. Jul 31, 2009 #4
    You use f(x,y) not f(y) because it is the function f(x,y) that is the distribution for a point (x,y). f(y) only gives the distribution for y.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook