1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conditional probability

1. Jul 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given f(x) = e^-x and f(y|x) = 1/x e^(-y/x). Three parts: (a) Compute density of (x,y), (b) Compute E(y) and (c) Compute P(y>x).

2. Relevant equations
    f(x,y) = f(y|x)f(x)
    if f(x) = ve^(-vx), then E(x)=v^(-1)

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm stuck on a problem. I was given f(x) and f(y|x) and was able to derive f(x,y) and compute E(y). The third step of the problem is computing P[y>x]. I think I need to know f(y) to answer this problem but I can't figure out how to derive it. Or is there a way to compute P(y>x) given the info I know without deriving f(y)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi BookMark440! :smile:

Hint: what is P(y>x) for a fixed value of x? :wink:

4. Jul 30, 2009 #3
    Maybe I am looking for the wrong answer. Do I simply need to find the portion of f(x)=exp(-x) that are to the left of its intersection with f(x)=x ?

This would mean I am looking for the intersection, which is exp(-x) = x, solving for x?

That is:

-x*log e = log x
    0.4343 = -(log x)/x

But what step is next? Is there some law of logs I am missing to simplify this? From graphing the problem, it looks like the point of intersection is (1 - log e) but I can't see how the above translate into (1-log e).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  5. Jul 31, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, for P(y>x) you need to find the portion of y, don't you? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook