Understanding Conditional Probability in Standard Normal Distributions

In summary: Bayes Theorem: P(Z>0|Y>0)=P(Y>0|P(Z>0)P(Z>0)/P(Y>0)) In summary, the author is trying to figure out the conditional probability of a given event, Z>0, given that another event, Y>0, has already occurred. However, he is not sure how to go about doing this and is looking for help. The first thing he tried was to use Bayes' Theorem, but this yielded very different results than what he was expecting. He is now trying to use a different approach, but he is not sure if he is doing it correctly.
mariank
Dear all,

I am in need of an advice regarding a conditional probability... Although it is very simple, I haven't found anywhere anything similar so I am not sure I get it right...I tried numerically calculating this conditional probability using 2 approaches (in Mathematica) and I get 2 completely different results, which are both very different from my intuition... I would be very happy if you could help me figure it out.

Let X, Y be 2 standard normal r.v. and Z=[tex]\sqrt{q}Y+\sqrt{1-q}X-\Phi^{-1}(p). [/tex]
s.t he unconditional probability of P(Z>0)=1-p

What I would like to compute is P(Z>0|Y>0).

here is what I have tried:

1. P(Z>0|Y>0)=P(Z>0, Y>0)/P(Y>0)=[tex]\int_{0}^\infty \int_{0}^\infty \phi_{zy}(z,y) dz dy/0.5[/tex] where [tex]\phi_{zy}(z,y)[/tex] is the joint normal birvariate distribution of z and y, where the covariance between z and y is[tex] \sqrt{q}. [/tex]
Weird enough, computing this numerically turns out that P(Z>0|Y>0) is at most 0.5(even when I put p=0.01, that means P(Z>0)=0.99) (which is very weird, right?)

2. The second thing I was advised to do is to write P(Z>0|Y>0)=[tex]\int_0^\infty P(Z>0|Y=y) \phi(y) dy [/tex][tex](P(Z>0|Y=y)=P(X>\phi^{-1}(p)-y\sqrt{q}/{\sqrt{1-q}}))[/tex]...these results are even smaller than the previous one...

So what is that I am doing wrong?

I would very much appreciate your help. Thanks a lot,folks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mariank said:
Dear all,here is what I have tried:

1. P(Z>0|Y>0)=P(Z>0, Y>0)/P(Y>0)

So what is that I am doing wrong?

I don't understand this expression. The correct expression for Bayes Theorem is:

P(Z>0|Y>0)=P(Y>0|P(Z>0)P(Z>0)/P(Y>0)

Last edited:
For the continuous case, I think you want:

[tex]f_{Z,Y}(z,y)=f_{Z|Y}(z|y)f_{Y}(y); Y>0, Z>0[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring, given that another event has already occurred. It is expressed as P(A|B), which means the probability of event A happening given that event B has occurred.

2. How is conditional probability calculated?

To calculate conditional probability, we use the formula P(A|B) = P(A∩B) / P(B), where P(A∩B) is the probability of both events A and B happening, and P(B) is the probability of event B occurring.

3. What is the difference between conditional probability and joint probability?

Conditional probability only takes into account the probability of an event occurring given that another event has already happened, whereas joint probability considers the probability of two events happening together. In other words, conditional probability is a subset of joint probability.

4. How is conditional probability used in real life?

Conditional probability is used in various fields, such as statistics, machine learning, and economics, to make predictions and decisions based on past events. For example, it can be used to predict the likelihood of a patient having a certain disease given their symptoms.

5. Can conditional probability be greater than 1?

No, conditional probability can never be greater than 1. This is because the probability of an event cannot be greater than the probability of the event occurring given that another event has already happened (which is the denominator in the conditional probability formula).