What is the probability of a customer leaving a workshop happy?

In summary, to please customers, repairs need to be done satisfactorily and completed on time. For one mechanic, if the job is done on time, he has a 85% chance that it was also done satisfactorily. He completes 77% of his jobs on time. What's the probability that a customer leaves the workshop happy? Cheers guys.
morry
Ok guys, I don't really understand conditional probability, can you guys tell me how to go about solving this?

To please customers, repairs need to be done satisfactorily and completed on time. For one mechanic, if the job is done on time, he has a 85% chance that it was also done satisfactorily.
He completes 77% of his jobs on time.

Whats the probability that a customer leaves the workshop happy?

Cheers guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Probability questions can often be confusing (and deceptively easy).
Best thing to do is write out the given and the unknown.

Let's say the event A is the event that the repair was done satisfactorily and B is the event that it was done on time. You are given P(A|B) and P(B). The unknown is P(A and B). Writing this down is the starting point for any problem.

Thanks for the start Galileo!

I was initially thinking that this would be a problem involving Bayes rule. I now reckon that it isnt.

I have no formulas that include both the union and A/B. Whats the next step?

P(A|B) is the probability of A conditioned on B, i.e. the probability A occurs given that B has occured. It's simply the way conditional probabilities are written. It has nothing to do with setminuses.

Galileo said:
It has nothing to do with setminuses.

Umm, what are setminuses?

Ill have another go and see if I can get it out.

I thought that's what you meant by A/B (Those elements of A that are not in B), since you mentioned it in the same sentence as the union.

I didn't mean the union, by (A and B) I mean the intersection of A and B (both satisfactory AND on time).
Anyway, look up the definition of conditional probability and figure out the given and unknowns for yourself. After that, it's just plug and chug.

I presume you mean that if the job is not done on time, a customer is not happy. If the job is done on time but not satisfactorily, a customer is not happy. So in order for a customer to be happy, the job must be done on time and satisfactorily. Imagine 100 customers whose jobs are done by this mechanic. 77 of them will be done on time. Of those 77 jobs that are done on time, 77*0.85= 65.45 are done satisfactorily: 65.45 of the customers will be happy which is 0.6545 probability that a given customer will leave happy.
That's how "conditional probability" is defined: Using P(A|B) to mean "probability of A given B" (which is what I think you meant by P(A/B)) then P(A)= P(A|B)*P(B).

Thanks for the help guys. That question was too easy! Seems so obvious now.

What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is a mathematical concept that measures the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred.

How is conditional probability calculated?

Conditional probability is calculated by dividing the probability of the joint occurrence of two events by the probability of the first event. This can be expressed as P(A|B) = P(A∩B) / P(B), where P(A|B) represents the conditional probability of event A given event B.

What is the difference between joint probability and conditional probability?

Joint probability refers to the probability of two events occurring together, while conditional probability measures the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred.

When is conditional probability used in real life?

Conditional probability is used in various fields, such as statistics, data analysis, and machine learning, to make predictions and decisions based on existing information. It is also commonly used in risk assessment and decision making in business and economics.

How can conditional probability be applied to medical research?

In medical research, conditional probability can be used to determine the likelihood of a patient having a certain disease or condition given a set of symptoms or test results. It can also be used to evaluate the effectiveness of treatments and interventions based on certain risk factors or patient characteristics.