Conditional Proof question

In summary: If not, why?The restriction ##x >-1## is important for getting the inequality because it ensures that ##x^2+\frac{1}{x^2+1}>x^2+\frac{1}{x^2+1}##.
Nipuna Weerasekara

Homework Statement

Let ##x\in \mathbb{R} ##
Prove the conditional statement that,
if ## x>-1## then ## x^2 + \frac {1}{x^2+1} \geq 1##

2. The attempt at a solution

Suppose ## x>-1## is true.
Then ## x^2>1##
Then ## \frac{1}{2}>\frac {1}{x^2+1}##
Then ##x^2+ \frac{1}{2}>x^2+\frac {1}{x^2+1}##

After that I have no clue how to get to the part where ## x^2 + \frac {1}{x^2+1} \geq 1## happens. Pls help...

Physics news on Phys.org
Nipuna Weerasekara said:

Homework Statement

Let ##x\in \mathbb{R} ##

Then ## x^2>1##

After that I have no clue how to get to the part where ## x^2 + \frac {1}{x^2+1} \geq 1## happens. Pls help...
Aren't you already done if ##x^2 \geq 1\;##? Isn't ##\frac{1}{1+x^2}## simply something positive?
But ##x > -1## doesn't imply ##x^2 > 1##, e.g. ##x = -\frac{1}{2}##.

Yup you're correct, but then how do I do it. I have no idea how to get something like ##x^2\geq1## from ## x>-1##.

Nipuna Weerasekara said:
Yup you're correct, but then how do I do it. I have no idea how to get something like ##x^2\geq1## from ## x>-1##.
You can distinguish between the two cases.
  1. ##|x| \geq 1##
  2. ##|x| < 1##
In the first case you have (together with ##x >-1##) that ##x \geq 1## and ##x^2 \geq 1##.
In the second case, have a look on ##\frac{1}{x^2+1}## first.

Thank you...

Nipuna Weerasekara said:

Deleted

Nipuna Weerasekara said:

Homework Statement

Let ##x\in \mathbb{R} ##

Then ## x^2>1##

Is the restriction ##x >-1## important for getting the inequality?

What is a Conditional Proof?

A Conditional Proof is a logical proof technique used in mathematics and philosophy to prove a conditional statement or implication (if-then statement). It involves assuming the antecedent (first part) of the conditional statement and using logical rules and premises to derive the consequent (second part) of the statement.

What are the steps to perform a Conditional Proof?

The steps to perform a Conditional Proof are:1. Begin by writing the antecedent of the conditional statement as an assumption.2. Use logical rules and premises to derive the consequent of the statement.3. Once the consequent is derived, end the proof by writing the conditional statement with the assumption and consequent together, and indicating that the proof is completed.

When is a Conditional Proof useful?

A Conditional Proof is useful when trying to prove a conditional statement or implication. It allows for a direct and logical way to prove the validity of a conditional statement, rather than relying on other proof techniques such as proof by contradiction.

What are some common logical rules used in Conditional Proofs?

Some common logical rules used in Conditional Proofs are modus ponens, modus tollens, hypothetical syllogism, disjunctive syllogism, and transitive property. These rules allow for the manipulation and deduction of statements to ultimately prove the conditional statement.

Can Conditional Proofs be used in all types of logical arguments?

Yes, Conditional Proofs can be used in all types of logical arguments, as long as the argument involves a conditional statement or implication. It is a general proof technique that can be applied in various fields and situations, such as mathematics, philosophy, and computer science.