What are the conditions for using the Laplace transform?

In summary, the Laplace of 1 is given by the following integral: $$\int_{0}^{\infty} 1 \exp(-st) dt = \left[ \frac{\exp(-st)}{-s} \right]_{0}^{\infty} = \frac{\exp(-s \infty) - \exp(-s 0)}{-s} = \frac{0 - 1}{-s} = \frac{1}{s}$$ However, in order for this to be true, it is assumed that Re(s) > 0. The most correct approach would be to use complex analysis, but for practical purposes, the assumption of Re(s) > 0
Jhenrique
The Laplace of 1 is:

$$\int_{0}^{\infty} 1 \exp(-st) dt = \left[ \frac{\exp(-st)}{-s} \right]_{0}^{\infty} = \frac{\exp(-s \infty) - \exp(-s 0)}{-s} = \frac{0 - 1}{-s} = \frac{1}{s}$$

It's result known, however, for this be true is assumed that s>0, because 0 = exp(-∞) = exp(-s∞). But we have a problem, s is a complex number (σ + iω), so you assume that s>0 thus you are saying that ω=0, but in laplace transform ω≠0. The most correct possible would be ##\exp(-s∞) = \exp(-(σ + iω)∞) = \exp(-σ∞ - iω∞) = \exp(-\text{sgn}(σ)∞ - i \text{sgn}(ω)∞) = \frac{\exp(-\text{sgn}(σ)∞)}{\exp(i \text{sgn}(ω)∞)}##, but it's become inpraticable... So what is correct form of approach this calculation of a simple way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jhenrique said:
The Laplace of 1 is:

$$\int_{0}^{\infty} 1 \exp(-st) dt = \left[ \frac{\exp(-st)}{-s} \right]_{0}^{\infty} = \frac{\exp(-s \infty) - \exp(-s 0)}{-s} = \frac{0 - 1}{-s} = \frac{1}{s}$$

It's result known, however, for this be true is assumed that s>0
No, the assumption is that Re(s) > 0. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_transform, Table of selected Laplace transforms. Note the column whose heading is "Region of convergence."
Jhenrique said:
, because 0 = exp(-∞) = exp(-s∞). But we have a problem, s is a complex number (σ + iω), so you assume that s>0 thus you are saying that ω=0, but in laplace transform ω≠0. The most correct possible would be ##\exp(-s∞) = \exp(-(σ + iω)∞) = \exp(-σ∞ - iω∞) = \exp(-\text{sgn}(σ)∞ - i \text{sgn}(ω)∞) = \frac{\exp(-\text{sgn}(σ)∞)}{\exp(i \text{sgn}(ω)∞)}##, but it's become inpraticable... So what is correct form of approach this calculation of a simple way?

Likes 1 person
Mark44 said:
No, the assumption is that Re(s) > 0. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_transform, Table of selected Laplace transforms. Note the column whose heading is "Region of convergence."

Humm, but s is a complex number, so what is the conditition for Im(s)?

As far as I know, there aren't any conditions on Im(s).

Likes 1 person
Jhenrique said:
The most correct possible would be ##\exp(-s∞) = \exp(-(σ + iω)∞) = \exp(-σ∞ - iω∞) = \exp(-\text{sgn}(σ)∞ - i \text{sgn}(ω)∞) = \frac{\exp(-\text{sgn}(σ)∞)}{\exp(i \text{sgn}(ω)∞)}##
What you wrote above is pretty much meaningless. You cannot use ∞ in arithmetic expressions.

Mark44 said:

Why not?

Mark44 said:

Jhenrique said:
Why not?
Maybe they're not needed. I dug up my book on Advanced Engineering Mathematics, Third Edition (Erwin Kreyszig) and looked at the section where he talks about Laplace tranforms. He doesn't even mention that s is complex. To see a treatment on the Laplace transform that deals with complex values of s, I looked at my copy of Churchill's Complex Analysis, which doesn't have any topics on this tranform, and then my Jerrold Marsden "Basic Complex Analysis," which does include this topic.

The Laplace transform is usually defined as this integral (which I believe you know):
$$F(s) = \int_0^{\infty}e^{-st}f(t)dt$$

The defining theorem for this transform says that there is some real number σ for which the above integral converges if Re(s) > σ, and diverges if Re(s) < σ.

If you want to know more than that, you'll need to study complex analysis.

Likes 1 person

1. What are conditions of transformations?

Conditions of transformations refer to the factors that must be present in order for a transformation to occur in a scientific experiment. These conditions can include temperature, pressure, catalysts, and reactants, among others.

2. Why are conditions of transformations important?

Conditions of transformations are important because they directly affect the outcome of a scientific experiment. By controlling the conditions, scientists can manipulate the transformation process and achieve desired results.

3. How do scientists determine the necessary conditions of transformations?

Scientists determine the necessary conditions of transformations through careful analysis and experimentation. They may also refer to existing scientific literature and theories to guide their understanding of the transformation process.

4. Can conditions of transformations change?

Yes, conditions of transformations can change depending on various factors such as external influences, changes in the environment, or the introduction of new materials. Scientists must constantly monitor and adjust conditions to ensure accurate results.

5. Are there any ethical considerations when determining conditions of transformations?

Yes, there may be ethical considerations when determining conditions of transformations, especially in experiments involving human subjects. Scientists must adhere to ethical guidelines and consider the potential impact of their research on society and the environment.