Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Condoleezza Rice named as Bush's nominee for new Sec. of State. Good god

1. Nov 15, 2004 #1
    The AP is reporting that Condoleezza Rice has been selected by Bush to be Colin Powell's sucessor.

"WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush has selected Condoleezza Rice, his national security adviser and trusted confidant, to replace Colin Powell as secretary of state, officials said Monday, in a major shakeup of the president's national security team. Three other Cabinet secretaries also resigned."

What the hell kind of Diplomat does Bush think Rice is? Colin Powell couldn't get the world on Bush's side, does he expect Rice to do anything but alienate the world from the US even more?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2004 #2
    He certainly could have done better I'll say that.

Fasten your seatbelts, looks like a bumpy ride...

4. Nov 15, 2004 #3
    Secretary of State, Exxon. We need a job for Bechtel in the cabinet. What about Monsanto, maybe Monsanto can head up the EPA.

5. Nov 15, 2004 #4
    Mmm...

I'm really looking forward to these next four years of governing from the middle, bi-partisanship and moderate viewpoints.

6. Nov 16, 2004 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:uhh: :frown: :cry:

Yep, good way to continue to alienate the rest of the world.

7. Nov 16, 2004 #6

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Practice saying "Madam President".

8. Nov 16, 2004 #7
    Condoleezza Rice as the first Female President? Hillary v. Rice '08?

I think you underestimate the sexism and racism that still exists in America.

Plus, Condoleezza Rice just looks evil and mean, always growling to herself or something...

9. Nov 16, 2004 #8

kat

10. Nov 16, 2004 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kat, she may be intelligent, I don't doubt that, but she doesn't seem to be very diplomatic, which is what is required of the Secretary of State. It doesn't take much to outshine Hillary in personality. :rofl:

11. Nov 16, 2004 #10
    Hilary looks nice? :yuck:

Between Hilary and Rice I would chose Rice...but I still think Bush could have chosen a better person for the job. Has it been anounced who is taking Rice's old position?

12. Nov 16, 2004 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Rice has some good points and bad points.

One good point is credibility. Being in favor with Bush, what she says is more likely to be consistent with what the Bush administration will support. (Powell has always acted consistent with the Bush policies, but the appearance of his not belonging hurts his credibility - which is why Rice and Baker were recently sent to do jobs the Secretary of State would normally perform).

Another is that she is very intelligent and would be expected to give good reliable advice.

Bad point is that she's developed a reputation as a bad manager. While she should have been in charge of keeping Rumsfield and Powell on the same page for National Security, she hasn't quite been up to the task of having to deal with Rumsfield, Powell, plus Cheney. There's no reason to think she'll have much better luck with Rumsfield and Cheney just because Powell's gone.

She also loses a little credibilty with the public because of how she handled Clarke's warnings about pre-9/11 al-Qaeda activity.

Even if you disagree with the Bush foreign policies, having a spokesman that's solidly on the team is a plus.

13. Nov 16, 2004 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On a related note, Dick Armitage has also offered his resignation. Now this, I find a little surprising...but seeing as how Condi's got the top job at State, this makes sense.

14. Nov 16, 2004 #13
    Its gonna be Karl Rove, who else would it be? If it turns out to be Boykin, then we will never escape from the Death Star.

15. Nov 16, 2004 #14

kat

I heard that Rumsfield was also going to be resigned...no?

16. Nov 16, 2004 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's the speculation I heard...don't know if it's true or just rumor though. I haven't been following this all too much, but what are the people resigning doing instead? Have they resigned to do other things, or just to get out? I'm just surprised at so many resignations all at once.

17. Nov 16, 2004 #16

kat

I had heard that some had been asked to resign and others were told if they thought they would want to resign at some point to do so now as Bush wanted a solid second term cabinet and did not want to have to replace people 7 or 8 months down the line. Just heard that Tony Snow-Tom Ridge resignation will be announced soon. I'm thinking Rudy for the new DHS....

18. Nov 16, 2004 #17
    I'd put money on Rumsfeld not resigning unless he REALLY has to. I mean, he didn't resign after Abu Gharib, he didn't resign after lots of failures, it'll take some heavy sh:t to make him think he's actually messed up.

Off topic, it's interesting that Condoleezza Rice is a concert level pianist. I like how the BBC picture of her playing with Yo Yo Ma said that she was being accompanied by Yo Yo Ma. As if it was Yo Yo Ma's grandest experience to play music with a politician :rofl:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  19. Nov 16, 2004 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess that makes sense. I figured Bush might make a few changes and ask for resignations for his second term, just didn't expect him to start already.

20. Nov 19, 2004 #19
    Is she single?

21. Nov 19, 2004 #20
    I'd imagine so. She's seems more likely to slit someone's throat and drink their blood than to be a good dinner partner.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?