Staggering Discovery of Ocean Condom "Reef"

In summary: I'm convinced!I've been trying to decide since I saw this posted last night if Ivan really thought it was true, or if he forgot to log off Tsu's computer again and she posted it to be funny. :rofl:No, that was me. :biggrin:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Apparently true...

Oceanographic scientists say they have discovered a vast, floating "reef" of the world's disposed condoms in the middle of the South Pacific, about halfway between Tahiti and Antarctica. The phenomenal mass is almost two miles long, an eighth of a mile wide, and in places up to 60 feet deep, the oceanographers say...
http://www.goofball.com/news/condom_reef

It seems that the country of origin can be identified by the length.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
I wonder how long it will be before it's molested by a horny giant jellyfish.

Uh oh... the Vatican may have another argument against condom usage here.

Danger said:
I wonder how long it will be before it's molested by a horny giant jellyfish.
:bugeye: GYAHH! Danger! Do you really have to post things like that right before I'm going to sleep? I can't even imagine what kind of scary dreams I'll have now. :bugeye:
think nice thoughts...think nice thoughts...think nice thoughts...

now we're going to have another dumbass american who is going to make a fool of themselves thinking that they can make a difference :uhh:

Math Is Hard said:
:bugeye: GYAHH! Danger!
I figured it wouldn't be long before you showed up once you heard 'jellyfish' being typed. :biggrin:

lol well its out in the middle of nowhere according to the coordinates it gives

I can think of multiple people on this forum who will remain nameless that could've done this :uhh:

Ivan Seeking said:
Apparently true...

It seems that the country of origin can be identified by the length.

So apparently flushing those down the toilet is not such a good idea...

Who'd of thought?

I heard that China is researching the possibility of colonizing this island to forestall overpopulation there. Isn't that ironic?

uueewww ueewwww uueewwwwwwwwww!

dextercioby said:
The story's not true.

Yah, the only usable coordinates are out in the arctic ocean or something

franznietzsche said:
So apparently flushing those down the toilet is not such a good idea...

Who'd of thought?
That's mostly because it can clog your toilet. Once they get to the sewage treatment plant, they get filtered out along with all the other large stuff that people flush :yuck: and sent off to landfills.

I've been trying to decide since I saw this posted last night if Ivan really thought it was true, or if he forgot to log off Tsu's computer again and she posted it to be funny. :rofl:

dextercioby said:
The story's not true.
Of course it's true. They explained it scientifically. They said "like aggregation",and referred to ocean currents and the Earth's magnetic field. These are clearly words of authority!

zoobyshoe said:
Of course it's true. They explained it scientifically. They said "like aggregation",and referred to ocean currents and the Earth's magnetic field. These are clearly words of authority!
AND it was on the Internet. How much more proof do you need?

Math Is Hard said:
AND it was on the Internet. How much more proof do you need?

I'm convinced!

Moonbear said:
I've been trying to decide since I saw this posted last night if Ivan really thought it was true, or if he forgot to log off Tsu's computer again and she posted it to be funny. :rofl:

No, that was me. :biggrin:

I wasn't sure what to think. At least one legitimate news service carried the story.

Ivan Seeking said:
I wasn't sure what to think. At least one legitimate news service carried the story.
Dare I ask? Which one?

I read about this in 20000 leagues under the sea. Not about condoms, but about flotsam being stuck in the middle of oceans. There is little wind or current in these areas.
http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/Ocean/Ocean-Plastic-Landfill-Algalita1nov02.htm [Broken]

zoobyshoe said:
Dare I ask? Which one?

UKonline. But in turn they cited a source unknown to me.

It is also mentioned at some ethics website that cited the biologist and the institute of study in Tasmania, which is a legitimate institute of marine biology.

Anyway, that's why I inserted the "apparently true" qualifier.

Ivan Seeking said:

Legitimate news sources can be conned into believing hoaxes too. Didnt the AP pick up a city tryen to ban water and didnt realize what was going on?

Ivan Seeking said:
UKonline. But in turn they cited a source unknown to me.

It is also mentioned at some ethics website that cited the biologist and the institute of study in Tasmania, which is a legitimate institute of marine biology.

Anyway, that's why I inserted the "apparently true" qualifier.
It's a joke story.

No doubt, by now it would be all over the net.

said the fisherman

1. What is the "Staggering Discovery of Ocean Condom "Reef"?

The "Staggering Discovery of Ocean Condom "Reef" is a recent scientific finding that has revealed the presence of a massive underwater structure made up of millions of discarded condoms, located in the depths of the ocean.

2. How was the "Reef" formed?

The "Reef" was formed over several decades as a result of improper disposal of condoms in the ocean. These discarded condoms accumulated and eventually formed a large structure resembling a coral reef.

3. What impact does the "Reef" have on marine life?

The "Reef" has a significant negative impact on marine life. The condoms can entangle and suffocate marine animals, and the chemicals and materials from the condoms can also harm their health and disrupt the delicate balance of the ocean ecosystem.

4. How was the "Reef" discovered?

The "Reef" was discovered through a combination of satellite imagery and underwater exploration by scientists. It was initially thought to be a natural coral reef, but upon closer investigation, it was determined to be a man-made structure.

5. What can be done to address the issue of the "Reef"?

To address the issue of the "Reef," it is important to raise awareness about the proper disposal of condoms and other waste products. Additionally, efforts can be made to clean up and remove the condoms from the ocean to prevent further harm to marine life.