How can I conduct a nuclear experiment without purchasing expensive equipment?

In summary, if you want to conduct a nuclear experiment, you may not be able to do so due to the Japan incident. Prices for any kind of Geiger counter or radiological survey or monitoring instrumentation have gone sky high.
michael60622
How could you conduct a nuclear eperiment? Is there a place you can go to or ask?

I was going to get some depression era glass and maybe a Cd-700 geiger counter off ebay. However I don't really want to calibrate or own the equipment. With this Japan incident going on picking a new one quickly seems impossible. So buying one then returning it seems unlikely.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

What kind of experiment, exactly, do you want to conduct?

I was trying to figure out ways to clean up radio waste. I was told it has only been localised, never cleaned up.

One problem with the experiment is I want to use low level radioactive substance. But if I do the meter I will be using may read that its gone down but really it hasn't, its just the meter couldn't read it or the meter wasn't calibrated right in the first place.

michael60622 said:
I was trying to figure out ways to clean up radio waste. I was told it has only been localised, never cleaned up.

One problem with the experiment is I want to use low level radioactive substance. But if I do the meter I will be using may read that its gone down but really it hasn't, its just the meter couldn't read it or the meter wasn't calibrated right in the first place.

Which waste are you referring to exactly? The waste in Japan? If so, their primary objective is to contain as much of it as possible first while they try to keep the reactors cooled and such. And "cleaning up" radioactive materials simply gathers as much of it up as you can and placing it somewhere it can stay and decay without harming anyone or anything.

Drakkith:
Pretty much right.

If I take low level of waste, clean it up someone may say well you actually didn't do anything because you meter is usless anyways.

Maybe I should get someone in Japan to try it?

michael60622 said:
Drakkith:
Pretty much right.

If I take low level of waste, clean it up someone may say well you actually didn't do anything because you meter is usless anyways.

Maybe I should get someone in Japan to try it?

I'm not understanding you very well. Do you have a meter already? Are you looking at getting one? What exactly are you planning on doing?

I need the meter. I think I may just rent one this week. I decided not to try and make my own.

Alright. Good luck with your experiment then.

The eBay market for any kind of Geiger counter or any kind of radiological survey or monitoring instrumentation has gone absolutely insane since the Fukushima incident. So it's not really a good time to try and buy something yourself.

Prices are nuts, even for equipment that is essentially useless, such as high-range Civil Defense ion chamber meters, old quartz-fibre dosimeters without their chargers, etc.

Lots of people are buying gear that they don't need, gear that they don't know how to use and/or will not be able to use, and gear that will they will probably never see any reading on unless there is nuclear war, just because of their nuclear engineering and health physics illiteracy and fear, unfortunately.

1. What is a nuclear experiment?

A nuclear experiment is a scientific procedure that involves manipulating the nuclei of atoms to study their properties and behavior. This can include experiments on nuclear fission, fusion, decay, and other related processes.

2. How is a nuclear experiment conducted?

A nuclear experiment typically involves using specialized equipment such as particle accelerators, detectors, and other instruments to manipulate and study the behavior of atomic nuclei. Scientists carefully design and plan the experiment, collect data, and analyze the results to draw conclusions.

3. Why are nuclear experiments important?

Nuclear experiments help scientists gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern their behavior. This knowledge can have practical applications in fields such as energy production, medicine, and materials science.

4. What are the potential risks associated with conducting a nuclear experiment?

Due to the highly energetic and potentially hazardous nature of nuclear experiments, there are strict safety protocols in place to ensure the protection of both researchers and the general public. These protocols include proper training, handling of radioactive materials, and containment and disposal of any waste products.

5. How can I get involved in conducting a nuclear experiment?

Conducting a nuclear experiment typically requires specialized training and access to sophisticated equipment and facilities. If you are interested in pursuing a career in this field, you can start by studying physics, chemistry, or engineering in college, and then potentially working towards a graduate degree in a related field. You can also seek out internships or research opportunities at universities or national laboratories that conduct nuclear experiments.