1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Conducting hollow sphere

1. Feb 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a conductor in the shape of a hollow sphere with inner radius A and outer radius B. The sphere has a net positive charge +q.

A negative point charge of value -2q is placed at the center of the sphere (r=0). Determine the electric field in the three regions of space:
    i) r < A
    ii) A < r < B
    iii) r > B

3. The attempt at a solution

Since this is a conductor, I thought part (i) and (ii) both have 0 Electric Field because the charge on the inside of the sphere will move to the surface, since this is a conductor.

But this is wrong. I need some help here.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2010 #2
    There is charge placed in the center of the hollow sphere.

4. Feb 20, 2010 #3
    Yes, but since it is a conductor, would the charge not immediately move to the inner surface, thus giving no charge on the inside of the conductor?

5. Feb 20, 2010 #4
    we're dealing with electrostatics here - statics as in not moving. But even if you wanted to think of charge as moving, the point charge is placed inside of a conductor - and you've already told me the E-field inside of a conductor is zero. From where would the force to move it come from?

6. Feb 20, 2010 #5
    Okay, I understand. So in terms of electrostatics, the answer to part i would be
    E = (-2q)/(4pi * epsilon not * r^2)

Now how would I approach part (ii)

7. Feb 20, 2010 #6
    Well, in part two it asks for the E-field inside of a solid piece of metal. If there were any E-field, a current would flow to transport the charge until the E-field ceased. Therefore, I'd conclude it to be zero. I could be wrong here, however.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook