1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conducting Hollow Tube

1. Feb 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A very long conducting tube (hollow cylinder) has inner radius a and outer radius b. It carries charge per unit length +alpha , where alpha is a positive constant with units of C/m. A line of charge lies along the axis of the tube. The line of charge has charge per unit length +alpha .

What is the charge per unit length on the inner surface of the tube?

What is the charge per unit length on the outer surface of the tube?

I've found the electric field where r < a, a < r < b, r > b already but I'm not sure how to apply that to the follow questions.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Is there a "discontinuity" in the electric field at r= a? (Is the value using the formula for r< a, but taking r= a, different from the value for r> a?) If so, there must be a charge there to account for the difference.
  4. Feb 11, 2007 #3
    I'm confused on what you said, the difference is going to be the charge per length for partA/B ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?