How Does Charge Redistribution Work Between Two Tetrahedron Conductors?

• Thread starter clope023
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conducting
In summary, two conductors, A and B, in the shape of tetrahedrons are charged in a specific manner. The first conductor, A, is charged from an electrostatic generator to an initial charge q. It is then briefly touched to the second conductor, B, which initially has a charge of q/4. This process is repeated until the charge on B reaches its maximum value. The final charge on B is q/3.
clope023

Homework Statement

Two conductors, A and B, are each in the shape of a tetrahedron, but of different sizes. They are charged in the following manner:
1) Tetrahedron A is charged from an electrostatic generator to charge .
2) Tetrahedron A is briefly touched to tetrahedron B.
3) Steps 1 and 2 are repeated until the charge on tetrahedron B reaches a maximum value.

If the charge on tetrahedron B was after the first time it touched tetrahedron A, what is the final charge on tetrahdedron B?

Homework Equations

V = Cq (C is a constant)

Va = Vb --> aqA = bqB

qA/qB = b/a

The Attempt at a Solution

in the first portion of the tetrahedra touching a charge of q/4 was added to B and taken from A so I assumed it was left with a charge of 3q/4, I more or less confirmed this when the problem also told me that the ration of charges (the qA/qB formula gave the number 3) so I assumed it was (3/4)/(1/4) = 3.

As the problem stated this will continue until can no longer accept charges from A, however a hint that the problem came let me find that the max charge on A when B is at it's max is q, I assumed it would've been 0 since when B would have been q A would've run out of charges.

by the formulas given by the problem qbmax = aqAmax/b, being qbmax = aq/b, but I'm not sure where to go from here, any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
We determine that (1) qa/qb[the ratio of the charges]=3 because
(1-1/4)q/ (1/4)q= [ net charge on a after 1/4 q from a flows to b] / [charge on b after first touch] = 3

Once the potential on each conductor is the same, there is no net flow of charge between them.

Because step 1 and 2 are repeated unit B reaches its maximum value the charge on a will always be "refilled" back to charge q. Therefore qamax (the charge on a when b is full)=q.

Finally from equation(1) we know that qbmax=qamax/3 ==> q/3

Likes Fisherlam

1. What is a tetrahedron?

A tetrahedron is a three-dimensional shape with four triangular faces, six edges, and four vertices. It is a type of polyhedron, which is a solid shape with flat faces made up of straight lines.

2. How do you conduct tetrahedra experiments?

Conducting tetrahedra experiments involves creating physical models of tetrahedra using materials such as paper, straws, or toothpicks. These models can then be used to explore the properties and behaviors of tetrahedra, such as volume, surface area, and stability.

3. What are some real-world applications of tetrahedra?

Tetrahedra have various applications in engineering, architecture, and mathematics. For example, tetrahedral structures are commonly used in the design of bridges and buildings to distribute weight and provide stability. They are also used in computer graphics to create 3D models and in chemistry to represent molecular structures.

4. What is the significance of conducting tetrahedra experiments?

Conducting tetrahedra experiments allows for a better understanding of geometric principles and their applications. It also helps to develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as spatial reasoning abilities.

5. Are there any resources available for conducting tetrahedra experiments?

Yes, there are many resources available for conducting tetrahedra experiments, such as online tutorials, books, and educational kits. Additionally, many schools and universities offer courses or workshops on conducting geometric experiments, including those involving tetrahedra.