1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conducting wire and moment

1. Jul 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A conducting wire runs directly over a horizontal compass in the north-south direction. When a current of magnitude I passes through the wire, the compass needle swings 20° to the west and stays in that position.

When a current of 2I passes through the wire, the compass needle swings α° to the west and stops. What condition does α fulfill?

2. Relevant equations
    I used M(couple moment) = BIANcosθ 

3. The attempt at a solution
       I am not sure that at does the moment between the 1st event (when I passes) and the 2nd event (2I passes) equal???
    I guess it is not because I my answer is wrong when I assume like this... But what is the relationship between 1st and 2nd event for solving this problem...

Help is appreciate..
    Thanks in advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The compass needle points in the direction of the net B field which is the vector sum of the field of the earth and the field of the wire.

Think about the direction of these two fields and draw a sketch showing their vector sum. Make a similar sketch for the case where the current is doubled. Identify the angle of 20o in the first sketch and the angle α in the second. Use an appropriate trig function to relate the two angles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook