How Does Doubling the Current Affect the Compass Needle's Deflection Angle?

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a compass needle when a conducting wire with a current of magnitude I passes over it in the north-south direction. The first event results in a 20° swing of the needle to the west, while the second event with a current of 2I leads to an unknown angle α in the same direction. By considering the vector sum of the Earth's magnetic field and the wire's field, it is possible to relate the two angles using a trigonometric function.
IIK*JII

Homework Statement

A conducting wire runs directly over a horizontal compass in the north-south direction. When a current of magnitude I passes through the wire, the compass needle swings 20° to the west and stays in that position.

When a current of 2I passes through the wire, the compass needle swings α° to the west and stops. What condition does α fulfill?

Homework Equations

I used M(couple moment) = BIANcosθ 

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure that at does the moment between the 1st event (when I passes) and the 2nd event (2I passes) equal?
I guess it is not because I my answer is wrong when I assume like this... But what is the relationship between 1st and 2nd event for solving this problem...

Help is appreciate..
Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The compass needle points in the direction of the net B field which is the vector sum of the field of the Earth and the field of the wire.

Think about the direction of these two fields and draw a sketch showing their vector sum. Make a similar sketch for the case where the current is doubled. Identify the angle of 20o in the first sketch and the angle α in the second. Use an appropriate trig function to relate the two angles.

1. What is a conducting wire?

A conducting wire is a material, usually made of metal, that allows electric current to flow through it with little resistance. It is an essential component in electrical circuits and is used to connect different electrical components.

2. How does a conducting wire conduct electricity?

Conducting wires have free electrons that are able to move freely through the material. When a voltage is applied at one end of the wire, these electrons are pushed by the electric field and begin to flow, carrying the electric current along the wire.

3. What factors affect the conductivity of a wire?

The conductivity of a wire is affected by several factors, including the type of material it is made of, its length, its cross-sectional area, and its temperature. Materials with low resistivity, shorter length, larger cross-sectional area, and lower temperature tend to have higher conductivity.

4. What is the moment of a conducting wire?

The moment of a conducting wire refers to the turning effect or torque produced by an electric current flowing through it in a magnetic field. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetism and is the basis for many applications such as electric motors and generators.

5. How can we increase the moment of a conducting wire?

The moment of a conducting wire can be increased by increasing the strength of the magnetic field it is placed in or by increasing the current flowing through it. Additionally, using a wire with a larger length or a larger number of turns can also increase its moment.