1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conduction electron ferromagnetism

1. Oct 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We approximate the effect f exchange interactions among the conduction electrons if we assume that electrons with parallel spins interacti with each other with energy -V, and V is positive, while electrons with antiparallel spins do not interact with each other.

(a) Show with the help of prblem 5 that the total energy of the spin-up band is:
    [tex] E^+=E_0(1+x)^(^5^/^3^)-(1/2)N \mu B(1+x) - (1/8)VN^2(1+x)^2[/tex]

(b) Find a similar expression for E-. Minimise the total energy and solve for x in the limit x<<1. Show that the magnetisation is:

[tex] M =(3N \mu B)/(2E_F-(3/2)VN) [/tex]

(c) Show that with B =0 the total energy is unstable at x = 0 when [tex]V > (4E_f)/3N[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]M = n \mu x[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    This question is out of Kittel (8th edition) chapter 11. I easliy managed to do part (a).

For (b) obviously E- was easy to find because it was just a couple of sign reversals. So for my total energy I just added E+ and E- to get:

[tex] E_t_o_t = E_0(1+x)^(^5^/^3^)-(1/2)N \mu B(1+x) - (1/8)VN^2(1+x)^2 +E_0(1-x)^(^5^/^3^)+(1/2)N \mu B(1-x) - (1/8)VN^2(1-x)^2[/tex]

Now I know I had to differentiate with respect to x to 'minimise' the total energy and then set that to 0 and solve for x. However, I don't get the right answer for the magnetisation. I found something on the web that said the following term is equivalent to ([tex](4/3)x[/tex]):

[tex] (1+x)^(^2^/^3^) - (1-x)^(^2^/^3^)[/tex] *****

If you're wondering where I get that term from it is part of the differential.

[tex] dE_t_o_t/dx =(5/3)E_0[(1+x)^(^2^/^3^)-(1-x)^(^2^/^3^)] -N \mu B - (1/2)V(N^2)x [/tex]

Now my main question with this part is why does that term ***** equal (4/3)x?? The question works out absolutely fine once I do this, but I don't get why???

(c) For this last part the lecturer said we had to find the second derivative to show that it is unstable for V is greater than some value. But I don't quite understand this because there is no B or x in the second derivative. So what is the point of being given the conditions of B = 0 and x = 0???

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2007 #2
    Part (b) specifies in the small x limit (ie close to the special x=0 point), so you use the usual expansion
    (1+x)^n ~ 1+nx+... and truncate the ... part. Voila: 4/3x.
    Part (c), the point is that the extrema of the energy are found by dE/dx=0; you are to focus on the extremum at B=0, x=0. The second derivative is independent of B and x as you say, but the extremum is still at those values of the parameters. You then notice that the energy is of the form "M-N", so you can show for one range of V the extremum is a minimum and thereore stable and for another of V is a local maximum and therefore unstable.
  4. Oct 23, 2007 #3
    Thanks for clearing that up!! I really appreciate it. Everything works fine now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?