Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conduction mechanism of SnO2 semiconductors

1. Aug 9, 2011 #1
    Hello everybody and welcome to my first thread.

I have read several publications regarding this compound, and found that SnO2 behaves as n-type semiconductor (Eg 3.6 eV) when oxygen vacancies are present. Very summarized and simply put, I understood that this lack of oxygen atoms enhance the movility of the electrons (of the sorrounding Sn/O) which would interact with them (by 'them' I mean the absent oxygen atoms), allowing them to reach the conduction band when thermally activated, increasing the number of charge carriers. Wrong or rather not, my first request would be a better explanation of this, expanding what I have said or rather correcting it.

On a second plane, stoichiometric, defect-free SnO2 would be a normal insulator, with a high resistance value. Which would be the natural state of SnO2, insulator or semiconductor? I mean, the oxygen vacancies are natural or rather only attainable artificially when fabricating the crystal (on thin films, nanostructures, for example). What kind of SnO2 would I have, for example, in regular Ag/SnO2 contact materials (produced by powder metallurgy or internal oxidation)?

Thank you very much in advance.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted