Calculate Energy & Cost for 7 Hour Oven Use

• Thread starter owura143
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conduction
I can't believe it is that simple.In summary, the electric oven operates at a temperature of 165°C, while the outer surface in the kitchen is at 55°C. The oven is insulated with a material that has a thickness of 0.023 m and a thermal conductivity of 0.045 J/(sm°C). To determine the energy used to operate the oven for 7 hours, the surface area (1.6 m2) must be taken into consideration. At a price of $0.10 per kilowatt hour, the cost of operating the oven can also be calculated.
owura143
The temperature in an electric oven is 165°C. The temperature at the outer surface in the kitchen is 55°C. The oven (surface area = 1.6 m2) is insulated with material that has a thickness of 0.023 m and a thermal conductivity of 0.045 J/(sm°C).

a) How much energy is used to operate the oven for 7 hours?

(b) At a price of $0.10 per kilowatt hour for electrical energy, what is the cost of operating the oven?

Physics news on Phys.org
Owura, please offer at least an attempt at a solution, or what you know or even if I knew that I could get rest.

I solved it

1. How do I calculate the energy usage for a 7 hour oven use?

To calculate the energy usage for a 7 hour oven use, you will need to know the wattage of your oven and the cost of electricity in your area. Multiply the wattage of your oven by 7 to get the total watt-hours used. Then, divide by 1000 to convert to kilowatt-hours. Finally, multiply by the cost of electricity per kilowatt-hour to determine the cost for 7 hours of oven use.

2. Can I use the same equation to calculate energy usage for other appliances?

Yes, you can use the same equation to calculate energy usage for other appliances. Just replace the wattage of the appliance in the equation and follow the same steps.

3. How can I reduce the energy usage and cost for 7 hour oven use?

To reduce the energy usage and cost for 7 hour oven use, you can try using energy-efficient cookware, cooking multiple dishes at once, and avoiding preheating the oven for too long. Additionally, you can opt for using a toaster oven or microwave for smaller dishes instead of using the full-sized oven.

4. Is there a way to estimate the cost for 7 hour oven use without knowing the exact wattage of the oven?

Yes, you can estimate the cost for 7 hour oven use by using the average wattage of an oven, which is typically around 2400 watts. However, keep in mind that this will only provide a rough estimate and may not be completely accurate.

5. Will keeping the oven door open or using the convection setting affect the energy usage and cost for 7 hour oven use?

Yes, keeping the oven door open or using the convection setting can affect the energy usage and cost for 7 hour oven use. An open door can cause heat to escape, leading to longer cooking times and higher energy usage. Using the convection setting may reduce cooking time and energy usage, but it also depends on the type of food being cooked.