Conductivity, altered by a magnetic field?

In summary, the question is whether the magnetic field created by the rotating magnet in a magnetic stirrer affects the conductivity measurement taken by the EDT Series 3 RE387Tx Conductivity meter. The answer is not clear, as the magnetic field created by the stirrer may also contribute to the conductivity measurement. It is suggested to test the conductivity of DI water with and without the stirrer to see the potential impact. Additionally, it is mentioned that a more expensive and precise conductivity meter may have noise rejection capabilities.
Dingle
Conductivity, altered by a magnetic field?

Hi

Im a high school student studying physics.

I conducted an experiment that measured the conductivity of KCl electrolytic solution vs. a change in concentration.

Anyway, i had a magnetic stirrer stirring the solution in a beaker when the conductivity probe from a EDT Series 3 RE387Tx Conductivity meter was inserted to take a reading.

Now the question is,
Does the magnetic field created by the magnetic stirrer also affect the Current flowing between the conductivity meters electrodes and therefore the CONDUCTIVITY!?
(please say no ! )

PS: The conductity meter puts a small amount of AC through the solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
My bet would be yes. Sorry! :)

The rotating magnet also creates a AC field, it is not clear how the conductivity meter would separate contributions due to the field it generates vs that created by the rotating magnet.

I am currently working on a process which uses conductivity to control the concentration of a chemical (TMAH), we have found that when our heaters are on we have a higher conductivity reading. So you are not alone in being messed up by outside effects on conductivity.

Since the magnetic stirrer is rotating, it would create an ac potential in the solution, but I would think that the frequency of rotation of the stirrer would have to be synchronized with the conductivity tester in order to produce a steady reading.

Am I wrong here?

IF you could, see if changing the speed of rotation changes the reading. My inclination (without knowing specifics) is that the stirrer would not contribute much significant current unless you are operating with very precise equipment

Actually an expesive, precise, conductivity meter may do exactly what you are wanting. That is does noise rejection, however this is a high school lab, I would bet that they have pretty basic equipment.

A good check, would be to check the conductivity of some DI water, on and off the stirer, compare conductivities.

Remember in any High school/college physics lab a well thought out explanination of errors should be worth more then an error free experiment.

1) How does a magnetic field alter conductivity?

When a material with free-moving electrons is exposed to a magnetic field, the electrons are forced to move in a circular path due to the Lorentz force. This circular motion disrupts the flow of electrons, resulting in a change in conductivity.

2) What types of materials are affected by a magnetic field's influence on conductivity?

Most metals and semiconductors are affected by a magnetic field's influence on conductivity, as these materials have free electrons that can be manipulated by the magnetic field.

3) Can a magnetic field increase or decrease conductivity?

Yes, a magnetic field can both increase and decrease conductivity depending on the direction of the field and the orientation of the material. In some cases, a magnetic field can completely eliminate conductivity.

4) How is the conductivity of a material affected by the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the conductivity of a material. A stronger magnetic field will result in a greater disruption of the electron flow and therefore a larger change in conductivity.

5) Are there practical applications for altering conductivity with a magnetic field?

Yes, there are several practical applications for altering conductivity with a magnetic field. For example, magnetic sensors and magnetic switches use this principle to detect changes in conductivity and can be found in various electronic devices. Additionally, this phenomenon is also utilized in the production of microchips and other electronic components.