Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conductivity in metal oxides

1. Jul 28, 2015 #1
    I was reading about semiconductor transparent conducting oxides and I found this why p-type conductivity is limited in TCOs. But I could not understand its meaning please someone explain me how the holes are localized at valance band edge and how dominated by oxygen- 2p levels?

''Owing to the strong ionic nature of metal-oxygen bonding, holes are typically localized at the valence band
    edge, which is dominated by oxygen-2p levels therefore limiting p-type conduction
    . Two methods have been
    suggested to enhance the co-valency between metal oxygen bonding, thereby limiting localization:1 choosing cations having closed d-shells of energy comparable to that of the oxygen-2p levels (i.e., Cu+, Ag+, and Au+, especially when found in linear coordination with oxygen2), and choosing a structure in which oxygen adopts tetrahedral coordination''

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2015 #2
    I do not think this statement is very precise. If holes tend to be localized, they would be localized in a gap state close to but not right at the valence band edge. It is also not true that hole localization limits the p-type conductivity. Take for example p-type conduction in perovskite oxides. In many cases it proceeds via hole conduction and these holes are self-trapped on oxygen sites and are derived from 2p states of oxygen.

Could you cite the source paper of this statement?

4. Aug 5, 2015 #3
    here is that paper

Attached Files:

5. Aug 9, 2015 #4
    I think the sentence highlighted in red encompasses too many information and in fact recent work on hole-self-trapping brought new insights beyond 2004 at the time of writing this paper. In fact even the concept that covalency of metal-oxygen bond reduces self-trapping is questionable. Take for example rare-earth nickelates. The bonding between Ni and O has a clear covalent character, in spite of this hole trapping on oxygen occurs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook