Conductivity of a copper wire at 4K

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the mean free time between collisions for free electrons in a copper wire, with the given dimensions, resistance, electron density, and temperature. The method discussed involved finding the conductivity, mean free path, and electron speed. However, the equation used did not include temperature, which was noted to have an effect on resistivity and conductivity. A graph was also shared to support this statement. The conversation ended with a positive response and a light-hearted comment.
maximus123
Hi everyone,

I am trying to find the mean free time between collisions for free electrons in a copper wire given the dimensions of the wire and the resistance, electron density and temperature.

I figured I needed to find the conductivity, plug that into an expression for mean free path then use the energy of the electron at 4K to determine its speed, and find the time between collisions from that, although it's quite possible there is a more straightforward way than this.

Anyway with that being the method I first tried using the resistivity eqn

ρ=RA/L​

where my resistance is 2x10-5
my wire is 1m long with cross section 1mm2

this gave me a resistivity of 2x10-11

resistivity being the reciprocal of conductivity gave me a conductivity of
σ=5x1010

However it seems strange that temperature does not feature in this eqn as that must have an effect on resistivity and therefore conduction.
I can't find any eqn involving temperature. Could anyone suggest an eqn which may be suitable? Or indeed tell me if I am on the complete wrong track.

Thanks a bunch

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for the speedy response. :smile:

maximus123 said:
Thank you for the speedy response. :smile:
Good things come to those who wait 😉

1. What is the conductivity of a copper wire at 4K?

The conductivity of a copper wire at 4K is approximately 0.0017 megohm-meters (Ωm). This value can vary slightly depending on impurities and other factors.

2. How does the conductivity of a copper wire change at 4K compared to room temperature?

The conductivity of a copper wire decreases at lower temperatures, such as 4K, due to the decrease in thermal energy and the increased scattering of electrons. At room temperature, copper has a conductivity of 0.0024 megohm-meters (Ωm).

3. What is the impact of impurities on the conductivity of a copper wire at 4K?

Impurities in a copper wire can have a significant impact on its conductivity at 4K. For example, even a small amount of oxygen impurities can reduce the conductivity by up to 40%. This is because impurities can scatter electrons and disrupt the flow of electricity.

4. Can the conductivity of a copper wire at 4K be improved?

Yes, the conductivity of a copper wire at 4K can be improved by reducing impurities and using high-quality copper. Some techniques, such as annealing, can also help to increase the conductivity of copper at low temperatures.

5. How is the conductivity of a copper wire at 4K measured?

The conductivity of a copper wire at 4K can be measured using specialized equipment, such as a four-point probe. This method involves passing a known current through the wire and measuring the voltage across four points to determine the resistance. The conductivity can then be calculated using Ohm's law.