Conductivity of a set of layers

In summary, the effective conductivity of the block along the x-direction is:\sigma_{x} = \frac{\Sigma_{i=1}^{N} m_{i}\sigma_{i}}{\Sigma_{i=1}^{N} m_{i}}
KEØM

Homework Statement

We consider the following configuration. A pile of N layers of sediments. Each layer has a conductivity [tex]\sigma_{i}[/tex] (i from 1 to N) and a thickness [tex]m_{i}[/tex]. The length of the system is L. In this case, the electrical conductivity is not a scalar but a second order symmetric tensor.

Using Ohm's Law and the idea of resistors working in parallel, demonstrate that the effective conductivity of the block along the x-direction is:

[tex]\sigma_{x} = \frac{\Sigma_{i=1}^{N} m_{i}\sigma_{i}}{\Sigma_{i=1}^{N} m_{i}}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{j} = -\underline{\sigma} \vec{\nabla} V,

\underline{\sigma} = \begin{bmatrix}
\sigma_{x} & 0 \\
0 & \sigma_{z}
\end{bmatrix}}

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not exactly sure if this qualifies as advanced physics. This is a geophysics course and I have never seen this before (not even in the course).

The first thing I did was I used the product over sum formula for two parallel resistors.

[tex] R_{eq} = \frac{R_{1} R_{2}}{R_{1} + R_{2}}[/tex]

Now using the formula [tex] R = \frac{\rho}{g}[/tex]

where [tex]\rho[/tex] is the resistivity of the specific layer and g is the geometrical factor (I don't know what this is in this case and I don't know how to use it).

Substituting this in for R and using [tex] \rho = \frac{1}{\sigma} [/tex] this parallel equation, after a lot of algebra, becomes:

[tex] R_{eq} = \frac{1}{g_{1} \sigma_{1} + g_{2}\sigma_{2}}[/tex]

Now, can I set [tex]R_{eq} = \frac{1}{\sigma_{x} g_{eq}} , g_{eq} = g_{1} + g_{2}?[/tex]

And then can I go as far as setting g equal to m?

If that is the case then I will have the correct answer because,

[tex]\frac{1}{\sigma_{x}(m_{1} + m_{2})} = \frac{1}{m_{1} \sigma_{1} + m_{2}\sigma_{2}}

\Rightarrow \sigma_{x} = \frac{m_{1} \sigma_{1} + m_{2}\sigma_{2}}{m_{1} + m_{2}}.

[/tex]

Which is the formula for the specific case of N =2.

Could someone please verify my approach or let me know how horribly wrong I am?

Thanks in advance,

KEØM

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I did some thinking and I think I got it. If I manipulate [tex]\vec{j} = -\underline{\sigma} \vec{\nabla}V[/tex] into V = IR by letting [tex] \nabla V_{x} = \frac{\Delta V}{\Delta x} [/tex] and

[tex]\nabla V_{z} = \frac{\Delta V}{\Delta z} [/tex]

then the magnitude of my first equation will become

[tex] j = \sigma_{x}\frac{\Delta V}{\Delta x} [/tex] in the x-direction

and

[tex] j = \sigma_{z}\frac{\Delta V}{\Delta z} [/tex] in the z-direction.

Then in the x-direction:[tex] \frac{I}{A}= \sigma_{x}\frac{\Delta V}{\Delta x}

\Rightarrow \Delta V = \left( \frac{\Delta x}{A \sigma_{x}} \right)I.

[/tex]

But as is apparent in the diagram (I will post this in a bit)[tex]\Delta x = L[/tex] and [tex]A = \Delta x m = Lm[/tex]

The above equation then becomes:

[tex]\Delta V = \left( \frac{\rho_{x}L}{mL} \right)I[/tex]

The L's cancel and this gives me V = IR where

[tex]R = \frac{\rho_{x}}{m}}[/tex].

Hence m is my geometrical factor.

I do this same process for the z-direction (with [tex]\Delta z = m[/tex]) and I get my R to be:

[tex]R = \frac{\rho_{z}}{L}}.[/tex]

So then L must be my geometrical factor for the z-direction? A problem further into my worksheet asks for me to give the expression for [tex]\sigma_{z}[/tex] similar to that of [tex]\sigma_{x}[/tex] in the first problem. But using L as my geometrical factor I do not get the correct result.

Can someone please verify my answers here and help me with the geometrical factor in the z-direction?

Thanks in advance,

KEØM

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the definition of conductivity for a set of layers?

Conductivity of a set of layers refers to the ability of a material to conduct electricity or heat through a series of layers. It is a measure of how easily electric charges or heat can move through the layers of a material.

2. How is the conductivity of a set of layers measured?

The conductivity of a set of layers is typically measured using a specialized instrument called a conductivity meter. This meter applies a small electrical current to the layers and measures the resulting voltage to determine the conductivity.

3. What factors affect the conductivity of a set of layers?

The conductivity of a set of layers can be affected by various factors such as the type of material, the thickness of each layer, the temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects in the layers. Additionally, the arrangement or orientation of the layers can also impact conductivity.

4. How does the conductivity of a set of layers relate to its electrical resistance?

The conductivity and electrical resistance of a set of layers are inversely related. This means that as the conductivity increases, the electrical resistance decreases. Similarly, as the conductivity decreases, the electrical resistance increases.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the conductivity of a set of layers?

The understanding of conductivity in a set of layers has many practical applications in various industries. For example, in the electronics industry, it is crucial to know the conductivity of different materials to design efficient circuitry. In the construction industry, knowledge of conductivity helps in selecting suitable materials for insulation. It is also essential in the manufacturing of batteries, solar panels, and other energy-related technologies.