1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conductivity of a set of layers

1. Mar 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We consider the following configuration. A pile of N layers of sediments. Each layer has a conductivity [tex]\sigma_{i}[/tex] (i from 1 to N) and a thickness [tex]m_{i}[/tex]. The length of the system is L. In this case, the electrical conductivity is not a scalar but a second order symmetric tensor.

Using Ohm's Law and the idea of resistors working in parallel, demonstrate that the effective conductivity of the block along the x-direction is:

[tex]\sigma_{x} = \frac{\Sigma_{i=1}^{N} m_{i}\sigma_{i}}{\Sigma_{i=1}^{N} m_{i}}
    [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\vec{j} = -\underline{\sigma} \vec{\nabla} V,

\underline{\sigma} = \begin{bmatrix}
    \sigma_{x} & 0 \\
    0 & \sigma_{z}
    \end{bmatrix}}

[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not exactly sure if this qualifies as advanced physics. This is a geophysics course and I have never seen this before (not even in the course).

The first thing I did was I used the product over sum formula for two parallel resistors.

[tex] R_{eq} = \frac{R_{1} R_{2}}{R_{1} + R_{2}}[/tex]

Now using the formula [tex] R = \frac{\rho}{g}[/tex]

where [tex]\rho[/tex] is the resistivity of the specific layer and g is the geometrical factor (I don't know what this is in this case and I don't know how to use it).

Substituting this in for R and using [tex] \rho = \frac{1}{\sigma} [/tex] this parallel equation, after a lot of algebra, becomes:

[tex] R_{eq} = \frac{1}{g_{1} \sigma_{1} + g_{2}\sigma_{2}}[/tex]

Now, can I set [tex]R_{eq} = \frac{1}{\sigma_{x} g_{eq}} , g_{eq} = g_{1} + g_{2}?[/tex]

And then can I go as far as setting g equal to m?

If that is the case then I will have the correct answer because,

[tex]\frac{1}{\sigma_{x}(m_{1} + m_{2})} = \frac{1}{m_{1} \sigma_{1} + m_{2}\sigma_{2}}

\Rightarrow \sigma_{x} = \frac{m_{1} \sigma_{1} + m_{2}\sigma_{2}}{m_{1} + m_{2}}.

[/tex]

Which is the formula for the specific case of N =2.

Could someone please verify my approach or let me know how horribly wrong I am?

Thanks in advance,

KEØM

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2010 #2
    I did some thinking and I think I got it. If I manipulate [tex]\vec{j} = -\underline{\sigma} \vec{\nabla}V[/tex] into V = IR by letting [tex] \nabla V_{x} = \frac{\Delta V}{\Delta x} [/tex] and

[tex]\nabla V_{z} = \frac{\Delta V}{\Delta z} [/tex]

then the magnitude of my first equation will become

[tex] j = \sigma_{x}\frac{\Delta V}{\Delta x} [/tex] in the x-direction

and

[tex] j = \sigma_{z}\frac{\Delta V}{\Delta z} [/tex] in the z-direction.

Then in the x-direction:

[tex] \frac{I}{A}= \sigma_{x}\frac{\Delta V}{\Delta x}

\Rightarrow \Delta V = \left( \frac{\Delta x}{A \sigma_{x}} \right)I.

[/tex]

But as is apparent in the diagram (I will post this in a bit)[tex]\Delta x = L[/tex] and [tex]A = \Delta x m = Lm[/tex]

The above equation then becomes:

[tex]\Delta V = \left( \frac{\rho_{x}L}{mL} \right)I[/tex]

The L's cancel and this gives me V = IR where

[tex]R = \frac{\rho_{x}}{m}}[/tex].

Hence m is my geometrical factor.

I do this same process for the z-direction (with [tex]\Delta z = m[/tex]) and I get my R to be:

[tex]R = \frac{\rho_{z}}{L}}.[/tex]

So then L must be my geometrical factor for the z-direction? A problem further into my worksheet asks for me to give the expression for [tex]\sigma_{z}[/tex] similar to that of [tex]\sigma_{x}[/tex] in the first problem. But using L as my geometrical factor I do not get the correct result.

Can someone please verify my answers here and help me with the geometrical factor in the z-direction?

Thanks in advance,

KEØM

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  4. Mar 31, 2010 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook