Can Spider Silk Conduct Electricity?

In summary, there is conflicting information on whether spider's web is conductive. Some sources say it is conductive, while others say it has a high breakdown voltage. The main concern with spiders making webs on electronic equipment is not short circuiting, but rather inhibiting air flow and causing overheating. A potential solution to keep spiders away is using fabric softener sheets. However, it is also important to note that spiders and their webs serve a purpose in catching insects.
Delta2
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Is spider's web conductive
I would like to know if spider's web is conductive.

A google search was inconclusive, some sites say that it is conductive, some that it has a high breakdown voltage.

The reason I am asking this is that it seems that I got spiders in my room (honestly I don't know where they are coming from) and they seem to do webs around my computer, so if they make webs inside my PC mainboard maybe they will short circuit it and damage it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Delta2 said:
The reason I am asking this is that it seems that I got spiders in my room (honestly I don't know where they are coming from)
It only takes one egg sac hatching to give you zillions of little spiders.
Delta2 said:
...if they make webs inside my PC mainboard maybe they will short circuit it and damage it.
The bigger concern is overheating. All those webs will inhibit air flow.

For a local short-term solution, used fabric softener sheets tend to keep spiders away. Works wonders on sailboats.

• Informative
Likes Lnewqban, berkeman, Delta2 and 1 other person
Delta2 said:
Summary:: Is spider's web conductive

A google search was inconclusive, some sites say that it is conductive, some that it has a high breakdown voltage.
Spiders webs are not conductive for low voltages, unless they become contaminated. Live spiders clean their webs. If you kill the spiders, then their webs will become a problem later.

You need spiders. Spiders webs catch small flying insects such as mosquitoes.

Spider's web gossamer is a protein polymer we call silk.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_silk#Structural

• Informative
Likes Lnewqban, vanhees71, Delta2 and 1 other person

1. What is the conductivity of spider web?

The conductivity of spider web varies depending on the species of spider and the environmental conditions in which the web was created. Generally, spider web has a low electrical conductivity due to its insulating properties.

2. How is the conductivity of spider web measured?

The conductivity of spider web can be measured using a conductivity meter or by using a multimeter to measure the resistance of the web. The resistance can then be used to calculate the conductivity using Ohm's Law.

3. What affects the conductivity of spider web?

The conductivity of spider web can be affected by factors such as humidity, temperature, and the presence of pollutants in the environment. The composition and thickness of the web can also impact its conductivity.

4. Can spider web be used for electrical purposes?

While spider web has a low conductivity, it has been studied for potential use in creating biodegradable electronics. However, it is not currently used for electrical purposes due to its low conductivity and fragility.

5. How does the conductivity of spider web compare to other materials?

Spider web has a lower conductivity compared to most metals and other conductive materials. However, it can have a higher conductivity than some insulating materials such as rubber or plastic.