Where Can I Find a Comprehensive Chart of Metal Conductivities?

In summary, the thermal and electrical conductivities of metals can be found on different charts, but a good chart would be multi-functional and have all values in metric.
BuddyPal
Does anyone know where I could find a good chart listing the thermal and electrical conductivities of metals? The chart doesn't need to be terribly accurate, I only need to know general values for comparison to other metals on the chart. All I need is one basic value for each metal. If anyone could direct me to a good chart, I would appreciate it, thank you =)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
BuddyPal said:
Does anyone know where I could find a good chart listing the thermal and electrical conductivities of metals? The chart doesn't need to be terribly accurate, I only need to know general values for comparison to other metals on the chart. Some charts include maximum and minimum electrical conductivities for metals at high and low temperature extremities, but all I want is one basic value for each metal. If anyone could direct me to a good chart, I would appreciate it, thank you =)

How about two charts? What happens when you google thermal conductivity of metals? And separately google electrical conductivity of metals? Could you please post links to the best web pages found by each of those two google searches, and let us know why they are not sufficient? Thanks.

I needed to revise my post; I didn't understand exactly what the chart was diagramming; this is the first chart I saw;
http://www.tibtech.com/conductivity.php.
(I'm still unsure what the commas and 2 values represent)
In the past, my physics textbook and internet reference charts have disagreed; specifically on specific heat tables. Because I need the values for relative comparison, and not so much for reference, one chart containing all values would be ideal.
The second reference chart I looked up was located at: http://www.engineersedge.com/properties_of_metals.htm but these values are not metric, and so their ONLY use would be for relative comparison to values on the chart, but an ideal chart would preferably be multi-functional. (I plan to print it out for occasional use)
The other tables I searched for were less accessible, and as I was discouraged by the prior websites, so I decided to only do a cursory search of them; some laziness on my part =(

Last edited:

1. What is a conductivity reference chart?

A conductivity reference chart is a visual representation of the relationship between electrical conductivity and temperature for a specific substance or material. It is used to determine the conductivity of a substance at different temperatures and can be used to identify the type of material based on its conductivity values.

2. How are conductivity reference charts created?

Conductivity reference charts are created by conducting experiments to measure the electrical conductivity of a substance at different temperatures. The data collected from these experiments is then plotted on a graph to create a reference chart. The curve on the chart helps to identify the conductivity of the substance at any given temperature.

3. How are conductivity reference charts used in scientific research?

Conductivity reference charts are used in scientific research to determine the electrical properties of various substances or materials. They are particularly useful in materials science, chemistry, and physics research, where the conductivity of a substance is an important factor in understanding its behavior and properties.

4. Are conductivity reference charts standardized?

Yes, conductivity reference charts are standardized based on the material or substance being measured. Different organizations, such as the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), have established standards for creating and using conductivity reference charts for various substances.

5. Can a conductivity reference chart be used for any substance?

No, a conductivity reference chart is specific to a particular substance or material. Conductivity values are influenced by factors such as temperature, pressure, and concentration, so a reference chart for one substance cannot be used for another. It is essential to use the appropriate reference chart for accurate measurements.